Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Autoincrement / Rowstate problems

Autoincrement / Rowstate problems

=?Utf-8?B?TmVpbA==?=

Hi,

I'm getting some strange results using the autoincrement column on my
datatable. I'm populating a datatable with data from my database and
displaying this in a datagrid. The first time I get the data from the
database I create a new table with an autoincrement column bind the datagrid
to this new table. The auto increment column is displayed as an ID col in the
datagrid. The user can add records or modify records at this point, when the
user adds records i create a new row in the datatable and rebind the grid,
this all works fine and the autoincrement displays the next number in the ID
col. However if I make a change to the original rows that come back from the
database and then add a new record the autoincrement starts to skip numbers.
It looks like the datatable creates a copy of the original data before
modifying it but the autoincrement col is generated in between this
happening. I have verifed that it is something to do with the rowstate
because if I call AcceptChanges() and then re-generate the auto id it works
fine but I need to know the rowstate to perform my updates so I cannot use
this as a workaround.

Sorry for the long post but if anyone has any ideas pls let me know.

Thanks