Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > mod_perl on apache 1.3 and 2.0 performance test, old vs new. strage..

mod_perl on apache 1.3 and 2.0 performance test, old vs new. strage..

Pablo S

Hi there Perl folks, I am comparing performance on a new server
platform I am demoing and wanted to share this weird thing:

It started out when I noticed some expensive local db calls on my
mod_perl box were taking a while on the new, slightly beefier system.
They are the same accept for:

OLD system:
(a celeron 1.8 w/ 512SDRAM linux 2.4 running perl 5.6.1,
postgresql-7.2.1-5 with a perl web db on Apache/1.3.23 mod_perl 1.26
and dbi 1.37 with peristent db connections via apache:dbi. ) this
thing runs awesome, as in, it is FAST, for what it does.

NEW system:
(a p4 2.6 w/ 512DDR266 running the same web app via perl 5.8.3 on
fedora core 2 linux 2.6 postgresql-7.4.2-1 w/ Apache/2.0.49 &
mod_perl/1.99_12 & apache:dbi.) it, at this point, sucks and is
noticably slower to load pages, pull from DBI, and even do simple
loops.

Httpd.conf on apache2.0
Alias /cgi-bin /var/www/cgi-bin
<Directory /var/www/cgi-bin>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
Options +ExecCGI
</Directory>

and on 1.3
Alias /cgi-bin/ "/home/httpd/cgi-bin/"
<Location /cgi-bin>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::Registry
Options ExecCGI
allow from all
PerlSendHeader On
</Location>

I have one page where I run many queries. On the old server, it loads
in 1.5 seconds. On the new server, with the same data, it takes 6. I
am trying to find out why. After going nuts all over Pg, apache:dbi,
and all orders of other stuff I had both servers run your basic

my $i=10000000;
while ($i) {
$i--;
}
print "done!";

thing. The 1.8 is done in 2 seconds, the 2.4 takes almost 8.

Is apache the culprit? I was running all over looking at the database
I was talking to, etc etc, but heres a simple loop taking about 3x as
long.

Thank you for your interest!! Any comments welcome.

Tore Aursand

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:18:13 -0700, Pablo S wrote:
> [ Bad performance with Apache 2.x over Apache 1.x ]
>
> Is apache the culprit? I was running all over looking at the database I
> was talking to, etc etc, but heres a simple loop taking about 3x as
> long.

You have to hone your benchmarking skills. You'll easily find out if one
Apache version is serving slower than another Apache version by simple
running the 'ab' tool on a simple HTML file;

% /usr/local/apache/bin/ab -n 100000 -k -c 4 http://localhost/test.html

'test.html' should - of course - not contain very much. Just some simple
HTML markup with no outside references (ie. images, CSS files, etc.)

Moving on to the next step: Create a simple script like this:

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
use strict;
use warnings;

my $i = 100_000_000;
while ( $i > 0 ) {
$i--;
}

Run this script with each of the Perl versions you have. Something tells
me that this really is a Perl issue, but that your fastest Perl version is
compiled differently than that slower Perl version.

I experienced the same thing when upgrading from Perl 5.6.0 to Perl 5.6.1;
The former was installed as plain RPM with all the fance stuff included,
while the latter was compiled specifically for the computer I was running
at that time, with just the necessary stuff enabled.

The result: Perl 5.6.1 was _a lot_ faster than the previous version, and
I could easily benchmark that from a simple "routine" as the one above.

I'll be happy to see your benchmark results!

--
Tore Aursand <(E-Mail Removed)>
"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has