Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Counting text area

Counting text area

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

John S wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> John S wrote:
>>> textarea comes back with \r as well.

>> Only on Windows (of course), and not if you use a library that
>> takes care of it, such as CGI.pm (as Tore suggested) or
>> cgi-lib.pl. Otherwise you can binmode STDOUT to prevent the \r
>> pecularity.

> When this is run from an Apache server:

<snip>

> my $fe = $q->param( 'friend_email' ); # text area
>
> my $msg;
> if ( $fe =~ /\r/ ){
> $msg = 'found \r'
> }

<snip>

> print $q -> p( $msg );

<snip>

> I get 'found \r'.

Okay. But don't you mean when a textarea field with linebreaks is
submitted from a Windows browser?

The problem I was talking about (which is related) is that if you
display a textarea field with embedded text in a Windows browser, and
the text includes \r\n linebreaks (which it typically does if the
script is run on Windows), each occurrence of \r *or* \n appears to be
exchanged for \r\n before display. In other words, if you don't
binmode STDOUT, the numbers of linebreaks are doubled.

This sub-thread seems to have turned off topic.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson