Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perl - Parse UNC Path in a string variable

Perl - Parse UNC Path in a string variable

Kevin Joseph

I have written a Perl script to modify some files over the network.
All PCs are Win2k. Most of the files reside on a share in the form of
\\server\share_name. Some of the files are on dirves in the form of
\\server\d$ and this is where my problem is.

My script prompts the user for the file name. It store the information
in a variable, parses it and then accesses it. If the file name
entered is \\server\share_name\filename, I do not have a problem. With
\\server\d$\filename however it simply fails. I have the logic to
convert \ to \\ which is why the former works
(\\server\share_name\filename). I tried escaping the $ (using \$) but
that did not work. I have tried various permutations and combinations
thus far and as a last option am sending my request to this newsgroup.

Kindly help.

Kevin.

A. Sinan Unur

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Kevin Joseph) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> I have written a Perl script to modify some files over the network.
> All PCs are Win2k. Most of the files reside on a share in the form of
> \\server\share_name. Some of the files are on dirves in the form of
> \\server\d$ and this is where my problem is.
>
> My script prompts the user for the file name. It store the information
> in a variable, parses it and then accesses it. If the file name
> entered is \\server\share_name\filename, I do not have a problem. With
> \\server\d$\filename however it simply fails. I have the logic to
> convert \ to \\ which is why the former works
> (\\server\share_name\filename). I tried escaping the $ (using \$) but
> that did not work. I have tried various permutations and combinations
> thus far and as a last option am sending my request to this newsgroup.
>
> Kindly help.

Kindly provide some useful information then. You indicate that you
'parse' the variable, that you have the 'logic' to convert \ to \\ etc
but never show code. We are not mind readers here. Please read

to learn how to formulate your question so others can understand and help
you. Smart questions get answers. 'Does not work' doesn't.

--
A. Sinan Unur
(E-Mail Removed)d

Kevin Joseph

Is this a Perl newsgroup or a newsgroup for someone from KinderGarden
or it is that you are trying to market some web page for dummies ? I
think I will just ignore your comment and wait for others to answer.

Kevin.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Kevin Joseph wrote:
> A. Sinan Unur wrote:
>> Kindly provide some useful information then. You indicate that
>> you 'parse' the variable, that you have the 'logic' to convert \
>> to \\ etc but never show code. We are not mind readers here.
>> Please read

>> to learn how to formulate your question so others can understand
>> and help you. Smart questions get answers. 'Does not work'
>> doesn't.

> Is this a Perl newsgroup or a newsgroup for someone from
> KinderGarden or it is that you are trying to market some web page
> for dummies ? I think I will just ignore your comment and wait for
> others to answer.

With that attitude, you're likely on your own.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Matt Garrish

"Kevin Joseph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> My script prompts the user for the file name. It store the information
> in a variable, parses it and then accesses it. If the file name
> entered is \\server\share_name\filename, I do not have a problem. With
> \\server\d$\filename however it simply fails. I have the logic to
> convert \ to \\ which is why the former works
> (\\server\share_name\filename). I tried escaping the $ (using \$) but
> that did not work. I have tried various permutations and combinations
> thus far and as a last option am sending my request to this newsgroup.

Since you don't even post what the actual failure message is, let alone
working code that demonstrates the problem, you shouldn't be surprised
you're not getting any help.

Matt

Tad McClellan

[ Please do not post to comp.lang.perl.
It was removed many years ago.
]

Kevin Joseph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have written a Perl script

Can we see the relevant parts of it?

I am pressing my forehead against the monitor...

.... it is just not coming through.

Debugging unseen code is too hard for me.

Sorry.

> It store the information
> in a variable, parses it and then accesses it.

^^^^

Huh?

How do you parse it without accessing it first?

What does "parse" mean when you say it?

> I tried escaping the $ (using \$)

> I have tried various permutations and combinations

Show us what you have tried and we can help you fix it.

As it is, you are the only one who can see what instructions
have been issued to the computer, so you are the only one
who can analyse the instructions that have been issued...

> thus far and as a last option am sending my request to this newsgroup.

Good. That is how it is supposed to be.

Try everything you can think of first, post to Usenet only after
everything else fails.

Thank you.

Unfortunately you have not given us enough information to
be able to help you.

Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas

Tad McClellan

[ Please do not post to comp.lang.perl.
It was removed many years ago.
]

Kevin Joseph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is this a Perl newsgroup or a newsgroup for someone from KinderGarden

(Larry Wall) wrote: ...

[snip] I view a programming language as a place to be
explored, like Disneyland. You don't need to have a lot of preparation
to explore a theme park. You do have to go along with the crowd
control measures, though. In a sense, each ride has its own
prerequisites--if you cut in line, you risk getting tossed out of the
park.

What we have here in this newsgroup is a failure in crowd control.
Reading the FAQ is like staying in line--it's something you should
learn in kindergarten. Usenet needs a better kindergarten.

> or it is that you are trying to market some web page for dummies ?

You come into a foreign society and start calling the regular
members names?

How bold.

You "took cuts" in line (perhaps without even knowing it).

You should expect that folks will be annoyed by that.

> think I will just ignore your comment

That is your choice.

My choice is to make a killfile entry for you.

I am now sorry that I took you seriously and took time to try
and help you, but its already written now, so I'll just move on.

So long and good luck with your Perl problems.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas

Anno Siegel

Kevin Joseph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Is this a Perl newsgroup or a newsgroup for someone from KinderGarden
> or it is that you are trying to market some web page for dummies ? I
> think I will just ignore your comment and wait for others to answer.

Good luck then.

Anno

Joe Smith

Kevin Joseph wrote:

> Is this a Perl newsgroup or a newsgroup for someone from KinderGarden
> or it is that you are trying to market some web page for dummies ?

It was a serious request for more information in order to help you
solve your problem.

>>> I have the logic to convert \ to \\ which is why the former works
>>> (\\server\share_name\filename).

Could you show us your logic? It might need a bit of a rework.

>>> I tried escaping the $ (using \$) but
>>> that did not work. I have tried various permutations and combinations
>>> thus far and as a last option am sending my request to this newsgroup.

Could you show us which permutations and combinations you've tried so far?

> Kindly provide some useful information then. You indicate that you
> 'parse' the variable, that you have the 'logic' to convert \ to \\ etc
> but never show code. We are not mind readers here.

In other words, show us the actual code you've tried so far.
-Joe