Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > SSL Tunneling

SSL Tunneling

Andy80

Hi everybody!

I've to write a proxy perl script for the following purpose:

_____________a single PC______________
| _________ _______ |
--------------------> | | | --------------> | | |
--- SSL traffic ----> | |My proxy| -- plain -----> |daemon | |
--------------------> | |_(perl)_| -- traffic ---> |_______| |
|______________________________________|

I've to "convert" SSL traffic into plain traffic and send it on the
same machine but on another port. Is that possible??

Thanks for the time,

bye

Andy

Chris Mattern

Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> Andy80 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've to write a proxy perl script for the following purpose:
>>

>> _____________a single PC______________
>> | _________ _______ |
>> --------------------> | | | --------------> | | |
>> --- SSL traffic ----> | |My proxy| -- plain -----> |daemon | |
>> --------------------> | |_(perl)_| -- traffic ---> |_______| |
>> |______________________________________|
>>

>> I've to "convert" SSL traffic into plain traffic and send it on the
>> same machine but on another port. Is that possible??

> Why can't you use openssh?

Maybe he can't get the plaintext source to feed into the SSH tunnel. Say,
he wants to access an https web site, but decrypt it with perl and then
pass it along as plaintext http to his browser.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Andy80

Chris Mattern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Maybe he can't get the plaintext source to feed into the SSH tunnel. Say,
> he wants to access an https web site, but decrypt it with perl and then
> pass it along as plaintext http to his browser.

Yes you're right! Is that possible in perl? Or I've to use OpenSSL?

Thanks,

Andy

gnari

"Andy80" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Chris Mattern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Maybe he can't get the plaintext source to feed into the SSH tunnel.

Say,
> > he wants to access an https web site, but decrypt it with perl and then
> > pass it along as plaintext http to his browser.

> Yes you're right! Is that possible in perl? Or I've to use OpenSSL?

But this is totally different from the diagram that you showed us
in your original post.

if you want a proxy that accepts http requests and translates them into
https, then yes, you can do it in perl (AND will need OpenSSL).
the real question is, is it really worth the trouble?

what is your real purpose? why can't your browser access directly
the https web site?

gnari

Joe Smith

Andy80 wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I've to write a proxy perl script for the following purpose:
>

> _____________a single PC______________
> | _________ _______ |
> --- SSL traffic ----> | |My proxy| -- plain -----> |daemon | |
>

> I've to "convert" SSL traffic into plain traffic and send it on the
> same machine but on another port. Is that possible??

I do it all the time, without using perl, by using openssh under
cygwin running on Windows-XP and/or Win2K.

cygwin% ssh username@singlepc -L 80:singlepc:80 -L 110:singlepc:110

-Joe