Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Install perl 5.8.3 and DBI, DBD::Oracle packages in my local account

Install perl 5.8.3 and DBI, DBD::Oracle packages in my local account

ulloa

I have an account in an sun server, and i have a problem i need to
instal DBI and DBD::Oracle packages and i can not install them using
the actual perl version (I am having a lot of problems).
I read that a possible solution is to install another perl version, so
i download perl 5.8.3 and the respective packages, and now i need to
install them, but i do not have any permission to do that. So what do
i need to do? to install perl and those packages in my local account,
in my home directory!!!

Thanks a lot.

Mladen Gogala

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:46:14 -0700, ulloa wrote:

> I have an account in an sun server, and i have a problem i need to
> instal DBI and DBD::Oracle packages and i can not install them using
> the actual perl version (I am having a lot of problems).
> I read that a possible solution is to install another perl version, so
> i download perl 5.8.3 and the respective packages, and now i need to
> install them, but i do not have any permission to do that. So what do
> i need to do? to install perl and those packages in my local account,
> in my home directory!!!
>
> Thanks a lot.

When installing perl, the perl script will ask you where to install
it. Make a directory called $HOME/local and install it under
$HOME/local/perl. Then do perl Makefile.PL prefix=$HOME/local
with your required packages. The last thing is to set PERL5LIB to
point to the directory where your packages are. In my case, it is
the following:
$ echo $PERL5LIB
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0

$ ls /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/DBI.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/DBI.pm
$

--
A city is a large community where people are lonesome together.