Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Looking for a better shell for windows 2K

Looking for a better shell for windows 2K

Loup Blanc

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.

As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command .

As user friendly as any graphical app is.

TIA

Jürgen Exner

Loup Blanc wrote:
> I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.
> As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command .

Then why don't you use those? All of them are available for Windows.

> As user friendly as any graphical app is.

That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

BTW: Do you have a Perl question, too?

jue

Keith Keller

Loup Blanc

"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cNDLc.40172$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Loup Blanc wrote:
> > I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.
> > As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command .

> Then why don't you use those? All of them are available for Windows.

I want to avoid Cygwin and I don't know any other win32 port. Maybe
you can help?

> > As user friendly as any graphical app is.

> That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

put simply : scrollable, mouse enabled

> BTW: Do you have a Perl question, too?
>
> jue

in fact it is a pre-perl question or around-perl question since perl
script are usually launched from the command line.

Joe Smith

Loup Blanc wrote:

> I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.
>
> As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command .

Both bash and tcsh for cygwin are just as smart as the Unix shells.

They are, however, hampered by the terminal emulation that W2K
provides for DOS based programs, but that's a completely different
topic. (With X-windows under cygwin, you should be able to get
xterm functionality.)
-Joe

Ben Morrow

Quoth http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Loup Blanc):
> "Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cNDLc.40172$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > Loup Blanc wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a smarter shell for windows 2K.
> > > As smart as UN*X shells csh, tcsh etc (that's not a command .

> > Then why don't you use those? All of them are available for Windows.

> I want to avoid Cygwin and I don't know any other win32 port. Maybe
> you can help?

There is a native port of zsh that I use when I'm forced onto windows.
There is mingw/msys (on sf.net) which are native ports of the cygwin stuff.
There's ATT's POSIX.DLL-based system, but I guess you'd avoid that for
the same reasons as cygwin.

> > > As user friendly as any graphical app is.

> > That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

> put simply : scrollable, mouse enabled

This is a question of terminal emulator, not shell; I've yet to find a
decent one.

Ben

--
All persons, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.
(E-Mail Removed) Kurt Vonnegut

Richard Morse

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Loup Blanc) wrote:
> "Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<cNDLc.40172$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > Loup Blanc wrote:
> > > As user friendly as any graphical app is.

> > That's a matter of how _you_ define user friendly for yourself.

> put simply : scrollable, mouse enabled

That's not the shell that provides that, that's the terminal emulator.

Ricky