Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Real time monitoring

Reply
Thread Tools

Real time monitoring

 
 
Karel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2004
LS,

I hope this is the correct bb to ask this question.
For a while now I have been looking for a perl cgi script that does
some sort of realtime monitoring.
That is: my cgi-script loops over a certain number of files and does a
system call of several minutes. The result (succes or no success) is
captured and printed in a HTML table. After the script is finished the
HTML page with the table is printed.

What i like to achieve is that the HTML page is updated/refreshed
after every system call and a growing HTMl table is printed.

I already know about how to turn of the Perl buffering but that does
not help to make my browser immediately display the output.

Anybody know any pointers to this problem or any other tricks to fool
the browser.

Thanks in advance.

KArel
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tore Aursand
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2004
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:31:16 -0700, Karel wrote:
> Anybody know any pointers to this problem or any other tricks to fool
> the browser.


What is your Perl question? You're asking about something that has to do
with browser/HTML behaviour.


--
Tore Aursand <(E-Mail Removed)>
"Every man usually has something he can do better than anyone else.
Usually it is reading his own handwriting." (Unknown)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2004
Karel wrote:
> For a while now I have been looking for a perl cgi script that does
> some sort of realtime monitoring.
> That is: my cgi-script loops over a certain number of files and
> does a system call of several minutes.


*One* system call of several minutes from a CGI script? In that case,
doesn't the CGI process time out?

> The result (succes or no success) is captured and printed in a
> HTML table. After the script is finished the HTML page with the
> table is printed.
>
> What i like to achieve is that the HTML page is updated/refreshed
> after every system call and a growing HTMl table is printed.
>
> I already know about how to turn of the Perl buffering but that
> does not help to make my browser immediately display the output.


It should help, provided that you do it right. Maybe you could post a
short but complete script where you have turned off buffering, but
that still doesn't display any output in the browser until the process
has finished.

For some reason I also come to think of the thread with this message:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0uni-berlin.de

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2004
Karel wrote:

> I hope this is the correct bb to ask this question.


Actually, comp.lang.perl.misc is a USENET newsgroup, not a bb.

> What i like to achieve is that the HTML page is updated/refreshed
> after every system call and a growing HTMl table is printed.


Some browsers (including older versions of Netscape) will not
display anything until </TABLE> is seen. What you're asking for
simply cannot be done in all browsers.
-Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
Vetle Roeim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2004
eOn Fri, 16 Jul 2004 04:44:46 GMT, Joe Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
> Some browsers (including older versions of Netscape) will not
> display anything until </TABLE> is seen. What you're asking for
> simply cannot be done in all browsers.


Well... He could write a complete table and then perhaps fill it
in by creating rows with Javascript.

Server-sent events would be a better choice, but there aren't
any browsers that support it...
<URL:
http://www.hixie.ch/specs/html/serve...er-sent-events >

I've heard of a technique for events that uses an iframe that continously
polls a URL, but I have no experience with this myself.

Theres also some Microsoft/IE-specific thingy called XMLHTTP that enables
a web page to request XML from a URL using Javascript (i.e. without
reloading), that would probably be excellent for his problem... I don'
know much about it though, except that Google uses it in GMail.

But this is waaaaaay off topic in this ng.

--
It's not a bug, it's the future.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross-browser Real-time Message, Remote JavaScript Callback, and Monitoring Browser States msdngroup ASP .Net 5 01-30-2008 06:26 PM
FirePlotter - real-time session monitoring for PIX/ASA Tzam Cisco 0 09-03-2007 03:42 PM
Monitoring SQL query packets in real time Sosh123 ASP .Net 2 06-01-2005 03:29 PM
What tool to use for Real Time Event Monitoring Apps? =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBEZXNzZXg=?= ASP .Net 2 05-09-2005 11:16 PM
Real-Time Network monitoring Damjan Computer Security 10 02-02-2004 12:42 PM



Advertisments