Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > turn utf-8 text into normal encoed

turn utf-8 text into normal encoed

dana livni

i have a text file saved in the UTF-8 format.
i need to read from it (in perl) process the data and then insert it
into an ACCESS DB.
the text contain hebrow and english characters togther.
when i do so all the hebrow in the DB turn to non readable text.
but if i change (by hand) the format Witch in the file is saved to an
ASNI format, both the hebrow data and the english data is ok.

is there a way to work this problome?
it can be a perl line or a comand in the system - i donwt care.

please help me.

Ian Wilson

dana livni wrote:
> i have a text file saved in the UTF-8 format.
> i need to read from it (in perl) process the data and then insert it
> into an ACCESS DB.
> the text contain hebrow and english characters togther.
> when i do so all the hebrow in the DB turn to non readable text.
> but if i change (by hand) the format Witch in the file is saved to an
> ASNI format, both the hebrow data and the english data is ok.

Presumably one of the several "Windows ANSI" character sets includes
both Hebrew characters and ASCII.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/unicode/cs.htm

> is there a way to work this problome?
> it can be a perl line

I'd start by reading
perldoc utf8

> or a comand in the system - i donwt care.

http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca/

My preference, if I were doing this, would be to see if there is a way
to get the database to work with UTF-8.