Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How does perl know it's environment.

How does perl know it's environment.

TLOlczyk

I've scoured the documentation and have not been able to find
an an answer to the following question.

Assuming there are no environmental variables set specifically
for perl. How does perl know where to find it's installed
packages, where to install packages, location of the library etc.
Especially in a custom build where the locationsd are in
nontradfitional packages.

The reply-to email address is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).
This is an address I ignore.
To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
interaccess,

**
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

There is a difference between
*thinking* you know something,
and *knowing* you know something.

A. Sinan Unur

TLOlczyk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've scoured the documentation and have not been able to find
> an an answer to the following question.
>
> Assuming there are no environmental variables set specifically
> for perl. How does perl know where to find it's installed
> packages, where to install packages, location of the library etc.

perl -V

--
A. Sinan Unur
(E-Mail Removed)d

TLOlczyk

On 12 Jul 2004 20:51:10 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>TLOlczyk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I've scoured the documentation and have not been able to find
>> an an answer to the following question.
>>
>> Assuming there are no environmental variables set specifically
>> for perl. How does perl know where to find it's installed
>> packages, where to install packages, location of the library etc.

>perl -V

I did not ask how i find out these things. I asked how perl knows it.

The reply-to email address is (E-Mail Removed).
This is an address I ignore.
To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
interaccess,

**
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

There is a difference between
*thinking* you know something,
and *knowing* you know something.

A. Sinan Unur

TLOlczyk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 12 Jul 2004 20:51:10 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>TLOlczyk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> I've scoured the documentation and have not been able to find
>>> an an answer to the following question.
>>>
>>> Assuming there are no environmental variables set specifically
>>> for perl. How does perl know where to find it's installed
>>> packages, where to install packages, location of the library etc.

>>perl -V

> I did not ask how i find out these things. I asked how perl knows it.

I understand and perl -V is the answer.

That information is set at build time (or installation time on Win32).

perl -help

-V[:variable] print configuration summary (or a single Config.pm
variable)

--
A. Sinan Unur
(E-Mail Removed)d

Peter J. Acklam

TLOlczyk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Assuming there are no environmental variables set specifically
> for perl. How does perl know where to find it's installed
> packages, where to install packages, location of the library
> etc. Especially in a custom build where the locationsd are in
> nontradfitional packages.

The paths are compiled into the perl binary. They are specified
when perl is built.

Peter

--
#!/local/bin/perl5 -wp -*- mode: cperl; coding: iso-8859-1; -*-
# matlab comment stripper (strips comments from Matlab m-files)

Tad McClellan

Peter J. Acklam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> TLOlczyk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Assuming there are no environmental variables set specifically
>> for perl. How does perl know where to find it's installed
>> packages, where to install packages, location of the library
>> etc. Especially in a custom build where the locationsd are in
>> nontradfitional packages.

> The paths are compiled into the perl binary. They are specified
> when perl is built.

and

perl -V

will show them to you.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Brian McCauley

(E-Mail Removed) (Peter J. Acklam) writes:

> TLOlczyk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Assuming there are no environmental variables set specifically
> > for perl. How does perl know where to find it's installed
> > packages, where to install packages, location of the library
> > etc. Especially in a custom build where the locationsd are in
> > nontradfitional packages.

> The paths are compiled into the perl binary. They are specified
> when perl is built.

This is true but on Win32 they can also be specified in the registry
(see perlwin32)

--
\\ ( )
. _\\__[oo

James Willmore

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:43:27 -0500, TLOlczyk wrote:

> I've scoured the documentation and have not been able to find
> an an answer to the following question.
>
> Assuming there are no environmental variables set specifically

^^^^^^^^^^^

It's "environment", not "environmental. They are not "green" ... as
someone pointed out to me in this group

Jim

Peter J. Acklam

Tad McClellan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Peter J. Acklam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > TLOlczyk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Assuming there are no environmental variables set
> > > specifically for perl. How does perl know where to find it's
> > > installed packages, where to install packages, location of
> > > the library etc. Especially in a custom build where the
> > > locationsd are in nontradfitional packages.

> > The paths are compiled into the perl binary. They are
> > specified when perl is built.

> and
>
> perl -V
>
> will show them to you.

That reply has been given numerous times already, but it only
shows which paths perl knows about and not *how* perl knows about
them, which was the question here.

Peter

--
#!/local/bin/perl5 -wp -*- mode: cperl; coding: iso-8859-1; -*-
# matlab comment stripper (strips comments from Matlab m-files)
s/^((??:[])}\w.]'+|[^'%])+|'[^'\n]*(?:''[^'\n]*)*')*).*/$1/x;

Tintin

"TLOlczyk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>Subject: How does perl know it's environment

How does perl know it is environment? No idea. Perhaps you meant, how does
Perl know its environment.

> The reply-to email address is (E-Mail Removed).
> This is an address I ignore.
> To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
> interaccess,

Post here, reply here, read here.