Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > out of memory

out of memory

marathon

Folks:

I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt to
run, it terminates with an out of memory error.

Is this a fault of the script or something else?

FWIW, I get the same result, when I run the application as a script on Debian,
or as an executable binary on Windoze.

--
S.Allen
barnyard Wednesday Jul 07 2004 10:25:01 PM EDT

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

marathon wrote:
> I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt
> to run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
>
> Is this a fault of the script or something else?

It's the script. The problem is caused by the bug on line 679.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Paul Lalli

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, marathon wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt to
> run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
>
> Is this a fault of the script or something else?
>
> FWIW, I get the same result, when I run the application as a script on Debian,
> or as an executable binary on Windoze.

Exactly how do you expect anyone to answer this question? You want us to
tell you if there's a problem with a script we can't see?

Paul Lalli

Tintin

"marathon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Folks:
>
> I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt to
> run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
>
> Is this a fault of the script or something else?
>
> FWIW, I get the same result, when I run the application as a script on

Debian,
> or as an executable binary on Windoze.

Your while loop is incorrect. You shouldn't be recursively opening the
files.

Clyde Ingram

Paul,

"Paul Lalli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, marathon wrote:
> >
> > Is this a fault of the script or something else?
> >

> Exactly how do you expect anyone to answer this question? You want us to
> tell you if there's a problem with a script we can't see?

Whoa, there!
It's not Marathon Man's fault, you know.

Google's first result on "dmg2iso" throws up:
http://www.emaculation.com/modules.p...rticle&sid=213
This is a News forum discussing conversion of DMG images to ISO format.
But look at that beautifully crafted banner proclaiming "Emasculation.com".

That's it -- the sample code snippets part of his posting got
auto-emasculated.
Check your Recycle Bin -- it'll all be there...

Regards,
Clyde

Clyde Ingram

"Purl Gurl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> marathon wrote:
>
> > Is this a fault of the script or something else?

> You need to declare local dynamic package global variables.

Ah! The brilliance of it.
And I was convinced he should have been declaring global static module local
constants.
Dang! (Where did I put that "Learning Perl"?)

Regards,
Clyde

marathon

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:27:07 -0400, Paul Lalli in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:
>On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, marathon wrote:

>> Folks:
>>
>> I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt to
>> run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
>>
>> Is this a fault of the script or something else?
>>
>> FWIW, I get the same result, when I run the application as a script on Debian,
>> or as an executable binary on Windoze.

>Exactly how do you expect anyone to answer this question? You want us to
>tell you if there's a problem with a script we can't see?

Sorry, I'm not a Perl programmer and I was asking in the generic sense.
I wished to know where to look, system or script. Now that I know it's
the script, I'll ask the other helpful gentleman, who mentioned the
line. Appears he knows the script.

Thanks for the help, astonishing how the rest of the thread as
detoriated. Is this indicative of the level of maturity found here? I
hope not, reading some of the threads, this group sounds like an 'alt'
group...

--
S.Allen
barnyard Thursday Jul 08 2004 10:55:01 AM EDT

marathon

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 05:15:23 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:
>marathon wrote:
>> I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt
>> to run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
>>
>> Is this a fault of the script or something else?

>It's the script. The problem is caused by the bug on line 679.

Oh really?! OK so you're being facetious, I understand.

I've put the script online, it's viewable here;

<http://sweetpig.dyndns.org:1000/~steve123/dmg2iso.txt>

What's output when run, is the following;

reading property list...found 1 partitions
decompressing:
partition 0
Out of memory!

--
S.Allen
barnyard Thursday Jul 08 2004 11:00:01 AM EDT

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

marathon wrote:
> Sorry, I'm not a Perl programmer and I was asking in the generic
> sense.

BS! You were referring to errors resulting from your attempts to run a
script. Now I realize that it was probably just a veiled homework
question.

> Now that I know it's the script, I'll ask the other helpful
> gentleman, who mentioned the line. Appears he knows the script.

I thought it was the kind of answer your question deserved. Your
'clarification' did not make me change my mind.

> Thanks for the help, astonishing how the rest of the thread as
> detoriated.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

marathon

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:26:16 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:
>marathon wrote:
>> Sorry, I'm not a Perl programmer and I was asking in the generic
>> sense.

>BS! You were referring to errors resulting from your attempts to run a
>script. Now I realize that it was probably just a veiled homework
>question.

Now you're attempting to be a clarivoyant, a very poor one I might add.
I'm not taking any perl courses my friend. So please take your
susupicious nature somewhere else.

I'm a layperson, asking a lay question. Is that too hard for you to
grasp?

>> Now that I know it's the script, I'll ask the other helpful
>> gentleman, who mentioned the line. Appears he knows the script.

>I thought it was the kind of answer your question deserved. Your
>'clarification' did not make me change my mind.

>> Thanks for the help, astonishing how the rest of the thread as
>> detoriated.

>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Just to clarify, I suspected it was the script, but I needed
clarification before posting the script in question. In hindsight, that
perhaps wasn't the thing to do, but unlike you I'm not perfect.

Have a good day chump! The world needs more helpful people like you.

--
S.Allen
barnyard Thursday Jul 08 2004 12:10:02 PM EDT