Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Writing installation script with Perl?

Writing installation script with Perl?

minjie

Hello,

Does anyone have experience in writing installation script with Perl?
Is it feasible to use Perl to package programs for installation, if I
do not use a professional installation buidling tool (such as
InstallShield)? If so, is there any Perl module for this purpose?
Where can I find examples?

Note: I need to build installation packages for both Windows and
Linux.

Thanks.

ChrisO

minjie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have experience in writing installation script with Perl?
> Is it feasible to use Perl to package programs for installation, if I
> do not use a professional installation buidling tool (such as
> InstallShield)? If so, is there any Perl module for this purpose?
> Where can I find examples?
>
> Note: I need to build installation packages for both Windows and
> Linux.
>
> Thanks.

It's entirely possible and yea, even recommended. Have a look at IBM's
Tivoli product for one commercial example. Home grown solutions abound.

-ceo