Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > syntax?

syntax?

Sergei Shelukhin

Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
error and thus refuses to work.
The module is XML:arser::Expat, line 368.
my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;

What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
recognize.

Ala Qumsieh

Sergei Shelukhin wrote:

> Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
> error and thus refuses to work.
> The module is XML:arser::Expat, line 368.
> my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;
>
> What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
> work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
> recognize.

Somehow the text got garbled. Browsing through the source of that module
on CPAN, I see this:

my $ptr = ('=' x ($col - 1)) . '^' . "\n";
my $ret;

--Ala

Brad Baxter

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Sergei Shelukhin wrote:

> Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
> error and thus refuses to work.
> The module is XML:arser::Expat, line 368.
> my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;
>
> What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
> work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
> recognize.

It should look like this:

my $col = GetCurrentColumnNumber($parser);
==> my $ptr = ('=' x ($col - 1)) . '^' . "\n";
my $ret;
my $dosplit = $linepos < length($string);

Corruption perhaps?

Regards,

Brad

Paul Lalli

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Sergei Shelukhin wrote:

> Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
> error and thus refuses to work.
> The module is XML:arser::Expat, line 368.
> my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;
>
> What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
> work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
> recognize.

I'd say your copy of the module is corrupt. The copy on CPAN (first
result for searching for XML:arser::Expat) has this as line 368-369:

my $ptr = ('=' x ($col - 1)) . '^' . "\n";
my $ret;

Try re-downloading.

Paul Lalli