Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > error logs...

Reply
Thread Tools

error logs...

 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2004
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "John " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<04GCc.4775$(E-Mail Removed)>...


Wow. I didn't think it would be that big a deal. Let it go. Sorry that my
posting here caused such grief ... funny how although you thought you were
helpful, someone else named you a 'bully'. But that's beside the point, I
should have counted to ten before I posted that line (GUIDELINES).

But again, sorry I was rude with my ignorance. It won't happen again.

Cheers,
John


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2004
"Eric Bohlman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9513421EE1957ebohlmanomsdevcom@130.133.1.4 ...
> "John " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:rxKCc.4476$(E-Mail Removed):
> Usenet newsgroups (and for that matter, Usenet itself) have

characteristics
> that meet many of the anthropological criteria for cultures. When

visiting
> a foreign culture, it is normally considered necessary to make at least
> some effort to familiarize oneself with it. For example, an American who
> visits England and is surprised, or worse, indignant to find out that
> people drive on the left side of the road hasn't put in that effort.

There
> is a stereotype that says that most Americans behave that way (we mostly
> don't but the squeaky wheel gets the grease) and in fact it has a name:

the
> "ugly American." You're showing some signs of it.


Usenet is a culture? Sorry if I didn't realize that looking up something on
my own personal computer was actually taking me (and it seems invading)
another culture. Is there an embassy here where I can find sanctuary?

I like the England analogy, unfortunately I am not in England, I am in my
house. Didn't think my computer was to be treated like another country.

I am not trying to be rude, nor am I trying to get people upset, but I feel
the attacks are unnecessary. Like I said, I was not one person doing it a
thousand times, I was one of the thousands of people who did it once.

But whatever, I am not going to argue anymore, I understand I didn't follow
the guidelines (not rules mind you) and I am sorry for that. The only thing
that bothers me is when people would rather berate than help. Would you
smack a newborn in the head for not knowing how to talk right out of the
womb? (There's an analogy for you).

So again, sorry that I caused such pain. I'll walk the straight and narrow
from now on and hopefully I won't step on any toes... and if it's too late
for me, don't hold it against any other Americans.

Cheers,
John


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2004
"Brian McCauley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes, I must confess, that I tend to assume that people who come here
> and behave this way are Americans.


'behave this way'? Exactly what way was I behaving... all I did was ask for
people not to be rude. Is that such a crime?

So I'll add you to my list of people I am sorry to. Sorry that I may have
offended you with my ignorant actions here. I am truly sorry. I'll try to be
better.

Cheers,
John


 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric Bohlman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2004
"John " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:6L8Dc.3299$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Brian McCauley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Yes, I must confess, that I tend to assume that people who come here
>> and behave this way are Americans.

>
> 'behave this way'? Exactly what way was I behaving... all I did was
> ask for people not to be rude. Is that such a crime?


But you're interpreting the customs of the foreign culture into which
you've inserted yourself as "rudeness," and asking foreigners to change
their customs simply to accommodate you is what's rude (it's the basis of
the "ugly American" stereotype; note that I'm American myself).

For example, in most European societies people will *not* ordinarily
address a person by his first name unless they have a *very* close
(familial, intimate, or long-term friendship) relationship with him.
Americans visiting Europe often misinterpret that as "rudeness" or
"snobbery." But it would be rude and snobbish to complain about that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Hickman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2004
John wrote:
> Usenet is a culture? Sorry if I didn't realize that looking up something on
> my own personal computer was actually taking me (and it seems invading)
> another culture.


So you think that the whole of the Internet lives inside your computer?
Are there little people inside your television set?
A culture is formed by a community of people, it doesn't have to be another country.

> I like the England analogy, unfortunately I am not in England, I am in my
> house. Didn't think my computer was to be treated like another country.


What it connects to is another community.

> I am not trying to be rude, nor am I trying to get people upset, but I feel
> the attacks are unnecessary. Like I said, I was not one person doing it a
> thousand times, I was one of the thousands of people who did it once.


If I punched you in the face a thousand times you would be annoyed but you
wouldn't be annoyed if you were punched in the face by a thousand different people?

Quit whining about how unfairly you have been treated.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2004
"Peter Hickman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>So you think that the whole of the Internet lives inside your computer?
>Are there little people inside your television set?
>A culture is formed by a community of people, it doesn't have to be another

country.

I don't offend people by watching my television.

>If I punched you in the face a thousand times you would be annoyed but you
>wouldn't be annoyed if you were punched in the face by a thousand different

people?

First of all, lmao at the insinuation... but I didn't know posting was
punching you in the face, but if someone did punch me in the face once
(after 999 different people did before him, I wouldn't yell at the 1000th
person like he punched me 1000 times). How about this, if one person asked
you for directions to Main St. a thousand times, you would get annoyed...
but if 1000 different people asked you where Main St. was, would you treat
the 1000th person like he asked you 1000 times? Funny that you compare a
post to being punched. If it's that bad, you shouldn't read here.

>Quit whining about how unfairly you have been treated.


Maybe you should end your holier-than-thou attitude and quit your whining
about a silly post. Think about it, all I asked was for the rude people not
to be rude. Do you consider yourself rude? If the answer was no, then it
didn't apply to you. Let it go man.

You're way too wound up, you need to unplug.

And please stop touting yourself as the king of this 'culture'. I am sure a
lot more people didn't even think twice about my little disclaimer than did.
So I don't know why you are getting all bent out of shape.

Cheers,
John


 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2004
"Eric Bohlman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> But you're interpreting the customs of the foreign culture into which
> you've inserted yourself as "rudeness," and asking foreigners to change
> their customs simply to accommodate you is what's rude (it's the basis of
> the "ugly American" stereotype; note that I'm American myself).
>
> For example, in most European societies people will *not* ordinarily
> address a person by his first name unless they have a *very* close
> (familial, intimate, or long-term friendship) relationship with him.
> Americans visiting Europe often misinterpret that as "rudeness" or
> "snobbery." But it would be rude and snobbish to complain about that.


Honestly, I think there is a universal agreement on certain things that can
be considered rude and all I asked was respondents not to be that.

The silly analogies have got to go. Yeah, sure some things of other cultures
might be strange to outsiders, but that is to be accepted. And someone
calling me by my surname doesn't seem rude to me.

And I have no idea how this became an American thing. That's just crazy
talk.

Cheers,
John


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Hickman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2004
John wrote:
> And please stop touting yourself as the king of this 'culture'.


And where did you read that, it certainly wasn't in one of my posts.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2004
"Peter Hickman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> John wrote:
> > And please stop touting yourself as the king of this 'culture'.

>
> And where did you read that, it certainly wasn't in one of my posts.


You're making posts like you know what everyone here wants or what is best
for everyone here, which has you coming off as the king.


Cheers,
John


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2004
John wrote:
> Peter Hickman wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>> And please stop touting yourself as the king of this 'culture'.

>>
>> And where did you read that, it certainly wasn't in one of my
>> posts.

>
> You're making posts like you know what everyone here wants or what
> is best for everyone here, which has you coming off as the king.


Peter tried to explain some fundamentals about Usenet in general and
this group in particular. He did it pretty well as far as I can tell.

The consensus of this group is documented:
http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/cl...uidelines.html

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0xffc Thread 0x228 DBC 0x437b94 Jet'. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr bazzer ASP .Net 0 03-30-2006 03:16 PM
Error connecting to SQLExpress 2005 locally (error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) hfk0 ASP .Net 2 03-27-2006 08:43 PM
ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x8fc Thread 0x934 DBC 0x437b94 Jet'. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr bazzer ASP .Net 1 03-24-2006 04:20 PM
ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x8fc Thread 0x934 DBC 0x437b94 Jet'. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr bazzer ASP .Net 0 03-24-2006 02:22 PM
Error 500: ERROR: Cannot forward. Writer or Stream already obtained. Error JavaQueries Java 1 03-01-2005 06:30 PM



Advertisments