Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > noob trying to learn where to start?

noob trying to learn where to start?

Hi all,

Would like to learn perl but not sure where to even start. Does anyone have suggestions
good books or sites, etc? I have some vb experience and no unix experience (working on that too).
Any help is very much appreaciated.

TIA!!

A. Sinan Unur

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:VuqCc.165954$Ly.35985@attbi_s01:

> Hi all,
>
> Would like to learn perl but not sure where to even start. Does anyone
> have suggestions good books or sites, etc? I have some vb experience
> and no unix experience (working on that too). Any help is very much
> appreaciated.

Assuming you have Perl installed, check the FAQ:

perldoc -q learn

Also: http://learn.perl.org/

--
A. Sinan Unur
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (reverse each component for email address)

Ken Sington

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Would like to learn perl but not sure where to even start. Does anyone have suggestions
> good books or sites, etc? I have some vb experience and no unix experience (working on that too).
> Any help is very much appreaciated.
>
> TIA!!

www.perldoc.com

standard stuff:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperl3/
I recomend: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlcdbs4/

as for unix, try Linux.
www.ibiblio.org
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/

Daedalus

I'm a newb myself, learning Perl for maybe a week now. I started with
O'Reilly's "Learning Perl (3rd Ed) and I must say that it's pretty good
starting point. With the standard Perl Documentation of course.

DAE

<(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
VuqCc.165954$Ly.35985@attbi_s01...
> Hi all,
>
> Would like to learn perl but not sure where to even start. Does anyone

have suggestions
> good books or sites, etc? I have some vb experience and no unix experience

(working on that too).
> Any help is very much appreaciated.
>
> TIA!!

Rusty Phillips

IMHO, if you've got a few languages under your belt already, you'll waste
a bit of time on the basics with a lot of the "intro" guides. If you've
coded in other things, what you need is a
guide to the tools available in Perl, rather than the language in
general (which should be intuitive given experience in other
languages and all the syntactic sugar in perl). For that I'd go
with the Perl Cookbook, also an O'reilly book.

But if VB is all you've got, may I suggest a more structured language
first? There are lots of popular ones, and the knowledge will easily
transfer over to perl. The advantage is that you'll be able to
write robust code easier after you are forced to do it with
structure. At least that was my experience (I started from BASIC
before there was VB).