Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Thread was being aborted thrown for background thread (win2003 ser

Thread was being aborted thrown for background thread (win2003 ser

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uYQ==?=

Hello,

Thread was being aborted exception is thrown by IIS for my asp.net
application on win2003 server. This error has not yet occured with the same
asp.net application on
windows 2000 professional computers that are also lot older and less
effective. And this error does not occure if this thread is run by console
application.

This asp.net gui application starts a background thread that mainly
reads data from ms access database (approximately 0,5 GB access db)
with oledb connection and then calculates something and writes to
another database.

I have tracked down that this exception is thrown by IIS in the
following code when the dataadapter should be filled with data from ms
access database or at least it seems that way after running three test trials.

OleDbDataAdapter dataadapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(command);
DataSet ds = new DataSet();
dataadapter.Fill(ds);

And this code should be totally OK as such since the same method is
run about thousand times before this exception is thrown and the
thread is terminated.

Has anyone run to same kind of problem ?
There are many questions in these newsgroups about direct and transfer
commands sending thread was being aborted, but this is not a case for
which that situation would apply. This is a new thread created by the
asp.net code and should run until the operation is finished, but does
not do that right now.

I read that IIS could unload application domain by throwing this
exception if it thinks that a crash,timeout,deadlock or memory has
been exceeded. But this should not do that since console application
on the same win2003 server runs just fine and on slower and older
win2000 machines the application also performs okey on IIS.

Also tried to change connection timeout parameter of IIS server, but
it did not help (from 120 to 1200)

Thank you in advance for reading and for possible answers that might
help me to figure a way out of this problematic situation.

BR,
Johanna

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgU2ltb25z?=

What happens if you run this as a single thread?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uYQ==?=

Hello Scott,

If I try to run it in a single thread under asp.net you mean? I have not
tried that, but because the background thread takes a lot of time like 15
minutes->one hour to complete it is not good practise to put the main GUI
thread to do this. I mean the UI would not probably wait for that long. But
maybe I could try to do a test of that kind in any case.

BR,
Johanna

"Scott Simons" wrote:

> What happens if you run this as a single thread?

I tested this case and what happens is that then IIS does not seem to throw
thread was being aborted. I run one test case like this and it did perform OK.
The question is then why is that ? What could I do to my application so that
the background thread would not be killed...?

BR,

Johanna