Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > "antispam" perl mods?

"antispam" perl mods?

bad_knee

I'm looking for a way to check mail on a pop3 server against something
like a Spamcop (http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml> blacklist before I
download it.
Anyone have some simple ideas?

I tried building Spamassassin on solaris 9 sparc yesterday and make
test produced
a lot of errors about versions. Upgraded to perl5.8 and of course now
have to download/rebuild all the extra modules added in 5.6. I bet
there is an easier way to do this?

Thanks for your time
bl8n8r

Josef Moellers

bad_knee wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to check mail on a pop3 server against something
> like a Spamcop (http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml> blacklist before I
> download it.
> Anyone have some simple ideas?

I did an antispam program in perl that checked the host which handed
over the mail into our company network ("Received: "). I had a list of
host names and networks that originated spam. I also had some means to
check for From: and Subject: patterns.
It was based on IMAP, though.

--
Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
-- T. Pratchett

John Bokma

bad_knee wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to check mail on a pop3 server against something
> like a Spamcop (http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml> blacklist before I
> download it.
> Anyone have some simple ideas?
>
> I tried building Spamassassin on solaris 9 sparc yesterday and make
> test produced
> a lot of errors about versions. Upgraded to perl5.8 and of course now
> have to download/rebuild all the extra modules added in 5.6. I bet
> there is an easier way to do this?

Go with SpamAssassin, it's great, and does much more than blacklist
checking. You can add your own rules, see
http://johnbokma.com/spam/spamassassin-cookbook.html

for some examples.

--
John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/