Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Memory limitation for Perl

Memory limitation for Perl

Markus Mohr

Hello,

I have built a Perl/Tk-based program in a client-server-interacting
mode which is composed of about 15 separate modules.
For one special task, the parsing of a XML string containing an image
object in its CDATA section, I want to limit the usable memory to a
certain amount. This is necessary since otherwise the process takes as
much memory as possible and could lead to system breakdowns.

Is there a method do realize such a memory usage limitation?

And if so, does it have to be integrated in the XML parsing process,
or can I sort of integrate this statement in my main *.pl file?

Hope I made everything clear enough.

Sincerely

Markus Mohr

Anno Siegel

Markus Mohr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> Hello,
>
> I have built a Perl/Tk-based program in a client-server-interacting
> mode which is composed of about 15 separate modules.
> For one special task, the parsing of a XML string containing an image
> object in its CDATA section, I want to limit the usable memory to a
> certain amount. This is necessary since otherwise the process takes as
> much memory as possible and could lead to system breakdowns.
>
> Is there a method do realize such a memory usage limitation?

Not in Perl, but perhaps in your OS. Under Unix, type "man ulimit"
and see what it says.

> And if so, does it have to be integrated in the XML parsing process,
> or can I sort of integrate this statement in my main *.pl file?

Ulimit restricts the resources for an entire process.

Anno

Markus Mohr

On 17 Jun 2004 11:47:33 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de (Anno
Siegel) wrote:

>Markus Mohr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have built a Perl/Tk-based program in a client-server-interacting
>> mode which is composed of about 15 separate modules.
>> For one special task, the parsing of a XML string containing an image
>> object in its CDATA section, I want to limit the usable memory to a
>> certain amount. This is necessary since otherwise the process takes as
>> much memory as possible and could lead to system breakdowns.
>>
>> Is there a method do realize such a memory usage limitation?

>Not in Perl, but perhaps in your OS. Under Unix, type "man ulimit"
>and see what it says.

Thank you, I know that about Linux, but I have to compile it under
Windows, and therefore it should be integral part of the code.

Sincerely

Markus Mohr