Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Feature Request: Send Page by Email

Feature Request: Send Page by Email

David Harrison

On 7/1/2004 1:41 AM, Big Red said:

> Just because you don't like it - and it could potentially be exploited by
> criminals - doesn't mean you should dictate to everyone else. Mozilla isn't
> trying to be Saddam Hussein.

Did I dictate, or simply ask you to stop throwing your weight around?

You want to get insulting, first try being as helpful as your target.
Then you earn the right.

As for the whole dictatorship trip, get a life.

Big Red

David Harrison wrote:
> On 7/1/2004 1:41 AM, Big Red said:
>
>> Just because you don't like it - and it could potentially be
>> exploited by criminals - doesn't mean you should dictate to everyone
>> else. Mozilla isn't trying to be Saddam Hussein.

> Did I dictate, or simply ask you to stop throwing your weight around?
>
> You want to get insulting, first try being as helpful as your target.
> Then you earn the right.
>
> As for the whole dictatorship trip, get a life.

All I ever did was request a feature that I've found useful in IE.

EOM.

Red

Moz Champion

Big Red wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>>Big Red wrote:
>>

>>Simply because you can do something, doesnt mean that everyone else
>>will enjoy it. Many people dont like HTML in email (I do but thats
>>me). Not everyone has access to high speed internet either.

> Are you implying that if they put this feature in EVERYONE will use it, and
> DESTROY the Internet you know and love? I hope not, because it's a feature
> that's been in IE a long time that's overlooked by most but appreciated by
> the minority who do. Of course I don't send an HTML mail to someone who
> doesn't want it. Do you think I'm a complete moron?
>
> Red

You can spam with the program too, does that make spam 'good' as well? Simply because something CAN be done, doesnt mean its right.
All I said was that just because you dont mind HTML in mail and news, that doent make it right for everyone. Not everyone has access to high speed internet (approx 50% of internet users still use modems of 2800bps or less), and over half the worlds internet users dont have unlimited internet either, meaning that they are paying for the time to download what you send.

Personally, I prefer if people send me pages via links. With a link, I can choose the time when I want to access the page, and it saves a lot on mail download time as well. I can put the email aside until I can spare the time to visit the page and give it the attention it deserves. With sending a page, that option is removed.

And no, I wasnt implying that the feature should not be there at all, I never stated such. It was there with Communicator as well, for years. All I did was voice my opinion on the hazard of making such available and using it without forethought.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Moz Champion

Big Red wrote:

> David Harrison wrote:
>
>>On 7/1/2004 1:41 AM, Big Red said:
>>

>>>Just because you don't like it - and it could potentially be
>>>exploited by criminals - doesn't mean you should dictate to everyone
>>>else. Mozilla isn't trying to be Saddam Hussein.

>>Did I dictate, or simply ask you to stop throwing your weight around?
>>
>>You want to get insulting, first try being as helpful as your target.
>>Then you earn the right.
>>
>>As for the whole dictatorship trip, get a life.

> All I ever did was request a feature that I've found useful in IE.
>
> EOM.
>
> Red

Oh, and another point. If you used Mozilla, instead of the standalone Firefox, then you would have the Page Send option.

One of the advantages of Firefox (which is basically a varient of Mozilla) is that it doesnt tie you to a specific mail program, it leaves you free to choose your mail program, which may or may NOT support HTML (which is a requirement for sending pages of course).

So even if there WAS a choice allowing you to send a page in Firefox, it wouldnt neccessarily mean you could, if for example, your mail program of choice didnt support it.

So, given that Firefox doesnt mandate choice of mail (IE defaults to OE, Mozilla defaults to Mozilla of course), the option to include Send Page was not included in the package, leaving users free to choose their mail program.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

David Harrison

On 7/1/2004 3:12 AM, Big Red said:

> All I ever did was request a feature that I've found useful in IE.
>
> EOM.

Sure, OK. It wasn't the request, it was the 'response to the response',
if you can untangle that

And it would be a useful addition. Worth raising as a feature request at
Mozillazine or Bugzilla?

cheers,

David H

--

"When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
reply address

Flatus Ohlfahrt

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 05:02:10 GMT, Moz Champion wrote in
news:mVMEc.169392$(E-Mail Removed)
:

> Oh, and another point. If you used Mozilla, instead of the
> standalone Firefox, then you would have the Page Send
> option.
>
> One of the advantages of Firefox (which is basically a
> varient of Mozilla) is that it doesnt tie you to a specific
> mail program, it leaves you free to choose your mail
> program, which may or may NOT support HTML (which is a
> requirement for sending pages of course).
>
> So even if there WAS a choice allowing you to send a page in
> Firefox, it wouldnt neccessarily mean you could, if for
> example, your mail program of choice didnt support it.
>
> So, given that Firefox doesnt mandate choice of mail (IE
> defaults to OE, Mozilla defaults to Mozilla of course), the
> option to include Send Page was not included in the package,
> leaving users free to choose their mail program.

I use a print-to-PDF utility quite often. It gives me an easy way
to archive, or forward, or fax, web pages. It's very helpful in
resolving disputes.

The last thing in the world I want to use is an 'internet suite'.
The big reason I stopped using netscape (I even paid for it, I
liked it that much) was that it kept on forcing me to use
Navigator.

Firefox is bringing me back.

Flatus