Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Help Me Understand this

Help Me Understand this

George Kinley

Hi
I am learning to use "Format" function , most of the things I can understand
except how to write to different FILEHANDLE
use FileHandle;

OUTF->format_name("My_Other_Format");

OUTF->format_top_name("My_Top_Format");

I know this stunt works, but I cant understand how it works,

Another thing Which I would appreciate if some one can show how to add
commas in Integer number inside "format"

Tad McClellan

George Kinley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Subject: Help Me Understand this

Please put the subject of your article in the Subject of your article.

> Another thing Which I would appreciate if some one can show how to add
> commas in Integer number

perldoc -q commas

How can I output my numbers with commas added?

> inside "format"

Use the FAQ answer and put the result in a scalar.

Treat the scalar as a string within the format.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

Jim Keenan

"George Kinley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<QaFoc.16263$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi
> I am learning to use "Format" function , most of the things I can understand
> except how to write to different FILEHANDLE
> use FileHandle;
>
> OUTF->format_name("My_Other_Format");
>
> OUTF->format_top_name("My_Top_Format");
>
> I know this stunt works, but I cant understand how it works,

Let's first ask: Do you understand how to use Perl's built-in
select() function to change the default filehandle?

If not, then you probably shouldn't be attempting to use the more
complex, object-oriented interface provided by FileHandle.pm. What
are you attempting to accomplish that requires this approach as
opposed to select()?

Jim Keenan