Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Komodo as a editor?

Reply
Thread Tools

Komodo as a editor?

 
 
Robert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2004
I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.

All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".

Robert
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
don't email me
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2004
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]
On Tue, 04 May 2004 18:31:21 -0400, Robert wrote:
> I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
> work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
> PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
>
> All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".
>


Dude, editors are tools. Some people like this tool, some people like that
tool. It is personal and religious and is a matter of habit. My favorite
editor is vi. There is nothing better, AFAIC. It is my primary tool
for the past 12 years. I think emacs, M$word and all other editors out
there are garbage... But hey, this is just me... you might think otherwise.
You might have (or will) get used to some other editor. Try this Komodo
thingy and see for yourself if you like it or not.....
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
> work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
> PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
>
> All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".
>
> Robert


I haven't tried Komodo, but I've read it's good. I like optiPerl, myself,
even though you have to change a lot of settings to get it to work well. It
might be the same way with komodo too, a lot of those dlls, etc are
traded/sold from company to company, but if you want to try it, try it
man...
-Robin




 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
Robin wrote:

> "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
>>work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
>>PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
>>
>>All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".
>>
>>Robert

>
>
> I haven't tried Komodo, but I've read it's good. I like optiPerl, myself,
> even though you have to change a lot of settings to get it to work well. It
> might be the same way with komodo too, a lot of those dlls, etc are
> traded/sold from company to company, but if you want to try it, try it
> man...
> -Robin


I tried OptiPerl and it seemed a little sluggish. This was about a year
ago. What I looking at that most is the UI builder in Komodo.

I will take a look at OP again though.

Thanks,

Robert
 
Reply With Quote
 
David K. Wall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of
> Perl work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as
> well. We use PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates
> with that.
>
> All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".


I think comp.editors is a better place to ask this question.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robin wrote:
>
> > "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
> >>work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
> >>PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
> >>
> >>All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".
> >>
> >>Robert

> >
> >
> > I haven't tried Komodo, but I've read it's good. I like optiPerl,

myself,
> > even though you have to change a lot of settings to get it to work well.

It
> > might be the same way with komodo too, a lot of those dlls, etc are
> > traded/sold from company to company, but if you want to try it, try it
> > man...
> > -Robin

>
> I tried OptiPerl and it seemed a little sluggish. This was about a year
> ago. What I looking at that most is the UI builder in Komodo.


yeah, Optiperl is a bit sluggish, I'll have to try komodo.
-Robin


 
Reply With Quote
 
Michele Dondi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2004
On Tue, 04 May 2004 23:05:23 GMT, don't email me <I'(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>for the past 12 years. I think emacs, M$word and all other editors out
>there are garbage... But hey, this is just me... you might think otherwise.


Huh?!? I know that (i) you're clearly stating it's just you, and (ii)
vi and emacs are the immortal contenders in the everlasting flame
about the best (*NIX) editor, but said this, isn't it just a bit too
extreme to put emacs side by side with a made-in-Redmond-wp in the
garbage?

I do not use emacs myself, but your claim sounds to me just like if
one were a declared *bsd fan claiming that in his opinion Linux and M$
Windoze are garbage...


Michele
--
you'll see that it shouldn't be so. AND, the writting as usuall is
fantastic incompetent. To illustrate, i quote:
- Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,
"perl bug File::Basename and Perl's nature"
 
Reply With Quote
 
krakle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2004
Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
> work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
> PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
>
> All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".
>
> Robert


Scite.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Markus Dehmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2004
Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
> work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
> PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
>
> All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".


You should give eclipse a try. It's free, very powerful and has a nice
Perl plugin, called epic (http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/), with
automatic completion, real-time error messages (while you type) etc.

Download eclipse 2.1.2. Then install the perl plugin via the update
manager, with http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/updates (or Eclipse 3.0M8
with the epic 3.0 patch).

Andi

PS: Eclipse does not support PVCS, but why not use CVS or subversion?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Komodo, debugging and multi-threading Thomas Lindgaard Python 2 08-10-2004 02:57 PM
Active State Komodo might do it Noah from IT Goes Click Python 0 04-21-2004 08:14 PM
Question:How to use Komodo fone 200 to call Netmeeting or ip address? outlooker VOIP 0 11-13-2003 07:29 AM
help debugging stdin in Komodo, IDLE, or PythonWin Pete Jereb Python 1 10-02-2003 07:08 PM
Active State Komodo for Perl - anyone using? CaptainMcBunnyTickle Perl 0 09-21-2003 12:08 PM



Advertisments