Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > A1 Triple Gold Star for Robin

Reply
Thread Tools

A1 Triple Gold Star for Robin

 
 
Julia deSilva
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
Many Congratulations to Robin.

How does this guy (or gal) do it, I mean, how is it possible to take such
stick, stay cool and come back for more. Many others have got themselves
into similar situations in this NG and have ended up taking offence, being
rude, and then getting plonked, or worse.

What a guy ! <sigh>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Uri Guttman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
>>>>> "Jd" == Julia deSilva <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

Jd> Many Congratulations to Robin.

Jd> How does this guy (or gal) do it, I mean, how is it possible to
Jd> take such stick, stay cool and come back for more. Many others
Jd> have got themselves into similar situations in this NG and have
Jd> ended up taking offence, being rude, and then getting plonked, or
Jd> worse.

he is too dumb to know better? notice he seems to think moronzilla has a
clue.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
--Perl Consulting, Stem Development, Systems Architecture, Design and Coding-
Search or Offer Perl Jobs ---------------------------- http://jobs.perl.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004

"Uri Guttman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>>> "Jd" == Julia deSilva <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>
> Jd> Many Congratulations to Robin.
>
> Jd> How does this guy (or gal) do it, I mean, how is it possible to
> Jd> take such stick, stay cool and come back for more. Many others
> Jd> have got themselves into similar situations in this NG and have
> Jd> ended up taking offence, being rude, and then getting plonked, or
> Jd> worse.
>
> he is too dumb to know better? notice he seems to think moronzilla has a
> clue.



hahaha....yeah, that's it. Who's moronzilla, can you point me in the
direction of the post(s) I replied to or the information your refering to? I
remember trawling this group two years ago and reading some posts by
godzilla, is that who you mean?

-Robin



 
Reply With Quote
 
Robin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004

> Many Congratulations to Robin.
>
> How does this guy (or gal) do it, I mean, how is it possible to take such
> stick, stay cool and come back for more. Many others have got themselves
> into similar situations in this NG and have ended up taking offence, being
> rude, and then getting plonked, or worse.
>
> What a guy ! <sigh>



Thanks julia! Much appreciated.
-Robin



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tassilo v. Parseval
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
Also sprach Robin:

> "Uri Guttman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >>>>> "Jd" == Julia deSilva <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>
>> Jd> Many Congratulations to Robin.
>>
>> Jd> How does this guy (or gal) do it, I mean, how is it possible to
>> Jd> take such stick, stay cool and come back for more. Many others
>> Jd> have got themselves into similar situations in this NG and have
>> Jd> ended up taking offence, being rude, and then getting plonked, or
>> Jd> worse.
>>
>> he is too dumb to know better? notice he seems to think moronzilla has a
>> clue.

>
>
> hahaha....yeah, that's it. Who's moronzilla, can you point me in the
> direction of the post(s) I replied to or the information your refering to? I
> remember trawling this group two years ago and reading some posts by
> godzilla, is that who you mean?


Yes, that's her. She's now writing under the alias Purl Gurl.

Tassilo
--
$_=q#",}])!JAPH!qq(tsuJ[{@"tnirp}3..0}_$;//::niam/s~=)]3[))_$-3(rellac(=_$({
pam{rekcahbus})(rekcah{lrePbus})(lreP{rehtonabus}) !JAPH!qq(rehtona{tsuJbus#;
$_=reverse,s+(?<=sub).+q#q!'"qq.\t$&."'!#+sexisexi ixesixeseg;y~\n~~dddd;eval
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tad McClellan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
Purl Gurl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nonetheless my
> status is right up there with the best of Perl programmers,



Bullshit.


--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tore Aursand
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2004
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:33:03 -0700, Purl Gurl wrote:
> I do not collect lick and stick gold stars. Nonetheless my status is
> right up there with the best of Perl programmers,


Where? I can't see you?!


--
Tore Aursand <(E-Mail Removed)>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sherm Pendley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2004
Robin wrote:

> site, but saying that cgi.pm is less functional than insecure cgi parse
> code isn't kosher, at least not by my standards.


What she actually said was that CGI.pm is slower, and as far as that goes
she's right. It's a heavy weight module. A more modular approach, with CGI,
HTML, and Cookie functions in separate modules, would have been better than
the AllPurposeWebThing.pm that CGI.pm has grown into - but that's an old
argument.

The problem is that she was looking at CGI.pm vs. hand-rolled code in
isolation, and that's simply not a realistic scenario. In any real-world
app, the time spent processing the main body of the code will *completely*
dwarf that spent parsing the form input.

Just do the math.

Let's say profiling (with Devel:Prof) shows you that 1% of your overall
execution time is spent in CGI.pm, while 20% of it is spent in foo(). If
you can improve the efficiency of foo() by just 3%, to 19.4% of the overall
total, you've done more for the overall total than you would have by
cutting the cost of CGI.pm in half. If you can cut the cost of foo() in
half, you've done *far* more for the bottom line than *any* amount of work
on CGI.pm could possibly do.

In principle, we'd all be optimizing every last line of code to its peak
efficiency. Unfortunately, we just don't have time for that, so we have to
spend the time we do have where it will make the most difference.

> At the same time she does have a lot of good stuff to say.


She's funny, I'll give her that.

sherm--

--
Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net
Hire me! My resume: http://www.dot-app.org
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2004
Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Just do the math.
>
> Let's say profiling (with Devel:Prof) shows you that 1% of your
> overall execution time is spent in CGI.pm, while 20% of it is spent
> in foo(). If you can improve the efficiency of foo() by just 3%, to
> 19.4% of the overall total, you've done more for the overall total
> than you would have by cutting the cost of CGI.pm in half. If you
> can cut the cost of foo() in half, you've done *far* more for the
> bottom line than *any* amount of work on CGI.pm could possibly do.


A benchmark I did showed that CGI.pm required about 0.2 seconds to
load and parse a simple query string. Do you write CGI apps that take
20 seconds to execute? I don't. And in that case your example is not
realistic. CGI.pm's inefficiency is apparently worse than you thought.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Email: http://www.gunnar.cc/cgi-bin/contact.pl

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2004

"Tassilo v. Parseval" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6mf27$dgho4$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Also sprach Robin:
>
> > "Uri Guttman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> >>>>> "Jd" == Julia deSilva <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >>
> >> Jd> Many Congratulations to Robin.
> >>
> >> Jd> How does this guy (or gal) do it, I mean, how is it possible to
> >> Jd> take such stick, stay cool and come back for more. Many others
> >> Jd> have got themselves into similar situations in this NG and have
> >> Jd> ended up taking offence, being rude, and then getting plonked, or
> >> Jd> worse.
> >>
> >> he is too dumb to know better? notice he seems to think moronzilla has

a
> >> clue.

> >
> >
> > hahaha....yeah, that's it. Who's moronzilla, can you point me in the
> > direction of the post(s) I replied to or the information your refering

to? I
> > remember trawling this group two years ago and reading some posts by
> > godzilla, is that who you mean?

>
> Yes, that's her. She's now writing under the alias Purl Gurl.


oh, well in that case, I dunno...maybe I gave her too much credit when I
first came here. I don't see anything wrong with her code, and i like her
site, but saying that cgi.pm is less functional than insecure cgi parse code
isn't kosher, at least not by my standards.
At the same time she does have a lot of good stuff to say.
-Robin






 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GOLD STAR, WOODEN WALL PLAQUE AND CERTIFICATE OF GOODNESS for the HELPERS HERE! Muse Gruppes Computer Support 5 08-09-2006 02:30 AM
pydoc preference for triple double over triple single quotes -- anyreason? Brian van den Broek Python 7 04-19-2005 03:39 AM
Star Wars Q: How severe are the bars on widescreen Star Wars DVD set? TNEXTWAVE DVD Video 22 10-01-2004 10:44 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: THE STAR WARS TRILOGY, STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES, SEASON ONE, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 09-27-2004 09:08 AM
Re: Sound problems on DVDs (was Re: Star Wars digression was Re: The Myths of Gaming) (was: Star Wars digression was Re: The Myths of Gaming) Terry Austin DVD Video 0 12-02-2003 03:21 AM



Advertisments