Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > need a good module.

need a good module.

Robin

Does anyone know of any modules that create and display dynamically
dhtml/css layers?

--
Regards,
-Robin

Sherm Pendley

Robin wrote:

> Does anyone know of any modules that create

Tons of 'em. CGI.pm has some basic HTML creation functions built in.
HTML::Mason is popular. There are a boatload of template modules on CPAN,
too many to list here - go to cpan.org and search for "html template".

> and display dynamically dhtml/css layers?

That's harder - much harder. What you're essentially asking is how to write
a browser in Perl, complete with CSS and JS support. That's a fairly meaty
project.

If you're using Mac OS X Panther, you can use CamelBones and WebKit to write
a browser - there's one at <http://jerakeen.org/programming/toybox/>.

If you're on Linux, you might be able to do something with GTK's HTML widget
and Perl bindings.

If you're using Windows, you'll have to ask someone else. I haven't done
much with Windows for a while.

sherm--

Uri Guttman

R> Does anyone know of any modules that create and display dynamically
R> dhtml/css layers?

i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.

why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they
actually matter? i didn't read the books post but i am sure it was
useless, and given the 'reviewer', it will be a silly list as he never
seems to rtfm at all, so how could anyone trust him to pick books?

and books.perl.org already exists.

uri

Matt Garrish

"Robin" <robin @ infusedlight.net> wrote in message
news:c6a09b$l57$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know of any modules that create and display dynamically
> dhtml/css layers?

You just have to say the magic words: Click-a-dee-click. Barba trick!

On a more serious note, I heard once of a project to mesh PSI::ESP with
CGI.pm to create an automated interface that responds to what users want. In
other words, a webmaster like you could will the output from your scripts to
suit whatever needs you have. It might not be easy to find (not sure how far
the project has come along), but if nothing else you'll learn how to use
Google. You may even learn how write dhtml on your own.

Matt

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Uri Guttman:

> R> Does anyone know of any modules that create and display dynamically
> R> dhtml/css layers?
>
> i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.

The more I see pointless postings such as this one, the more I'm tempted
to recommend giving you a negative score.

> why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
> about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they
> actually matter? i didn't read the books post but i am sure it was
> useless, and given the 'reviewer', it will be a silly list as he never
> seems to rtfm at all, so how could anyone trust him to pick books?

Eh, what is that? Making implicit crossreferences to other threads
(whose original posting, btw, is not carried by my news server) is not a
very clever thing to do unless they are made explicit by giving a
message-id or at least the subject.

Tassilo

Joe Smith

Robin wrote:

> Does anyone know of any modules that create and display dynamically
> dhtml/css layers?

Display as what? Fixed-width text on an 80 column by 24 line screen?

Michele Dondi

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:03:07 GMT, Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.
>
>why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
>about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they

Dear URI,

I, for one, slightly *disagree* with you: while I find too that most
threads started by Robin are a real PITA, I don't see why *a priori*
self-taught coders' opinons/code should not be cared. Of course it
would be better if they accepted more intelligently the suggestions
they receive, but then again I, for one, am a self-taught coder
happily perling mostly everyday on a non-professional basis *and*
AFAICT you've never complained with me like this, yet, my very first
posts here were not much better than Robin's. (I suppose!)

$uri->kindness->increase_by(10);
$uri->elitarism->increase_by(-10);

Just my two Eurocents,
Michele
- Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,

Robin

Alright, and sorry about posting attachments, I forgot to take them out.

I finally figured out what I need to do, this but it shouldn't be that hard
to do, I just have to use the print redirect function in cgi.pm...or
autoload the layers

basically what I want to do is write a blogger that has two buttons that
show and hide comments dyanimically, ie: like a tab on windows, but the
comments have to be rendered dynamically...so I'll probably just autoload
the layers if this is possible... or redirect to the same script with the
layer shown.

Does anyone know a module that creates DHTML layers that are autoloaded with
the contents loaded (ie: from files) dynamically on the server side?

Thanks-
Robin

Uri Guttman

MD> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:03:07 GMT, Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)>
MD> wrote:

>> i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.
>>
>> why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
>> about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they

MD> Dear URI,

MD> I, for one, slightly *disagree* with you: while I find too that
MD> most threads started by Robin are a real PITA, I don't see why *a
MD> priori* self-taught coders' opinons/code should not be cared. Of
MD> course it would be better if they accepted more intelligently the
MD> suggestions they receive, but then again I, for one, am a
MD> self-taught coder happily perling mostly everyday on a
MD> non-professional basis *and* AFAICT you've never complained with
MD> me like this, yet, my very first posts here were not much better
MD> than Robin's. (I suppose!)

the problem is that too many self taught coders don't understand the
real issues involved (security, accuracy, effciency, etc) and just hack
it to get what looks like some working results. i am not saying all
self-taught coders are like this (randal schwartz surely is not) but
without some training or peer review or a true educational curiosity and
an open mind that is willing to learn, you get moronzilla or robin
types. they think because something is working on the surface (and it is
almost always web stuff today) then it must be ok. none of the real dark
problems are understood nor addressed and of course when you bring them
up, you get shot down as some elitest. working in the computer field
requires a certain level of critical and structured thinking and that is
not something everyone has. but you can get by with a little and code up
a web page and claim you can do it and get a job. it is annoying to us
(or me at least) that jobs are harder to find for that reason. now i am
not for certifications but i wish there was a way to differentiate those
who understand and know how to handle all aspects of coding and those
who just code web stuff.

MD> $uri->kindness->increase_by(10);
MD> $uri->elitarism->increase_by(-10);

and i don't think i was being elistist at all. i was just expressing my
opinion that i am tired of robin who won't listen properly. so many
things are still unaddressed by his code. basic fundamentals are lacking
and just because it shows a functional web page it means to him that it
is ok. sure for his use but don't pawn it off as something anyone else
would want if they knew what it was. but then look at what happened to
matt wright's scripts. thousands of kiddies used them and called
themselves programmers. blecch.

uri

Robin

"Uri Guttman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> MD> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:03:07 GMT, Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)>
> MD> wrote:
>
> >> i use Delete::Robin all the time. i highly recommend it.
> >>
> >> why do these dumb self-taught coders never realize how little we care
> >> about their opinions or code? is it some self-delusion that they

> MD> Dear URI,
>
> MD> I, for one, slightly *disagree* with you: while I find too that
> MD> most threads started by Robin are a real PITA, I don't see why *a
> MD> priori* self-taught coders' opinons/code should not be cared. Of
> MD> course it would be better if they accepted more intelligently the
> MD> suggestions they receive, but then again I, for one, am a
> MD> self-taught coder happily perling mostly everyday on a
> MD> non-professional basis *and* AFAICT you've never complained with
> MD> me like this, yet, my very first posts here were not much better
> MD> than Robin's. (I suppose!)
>
> the problem is that too many self taught coders don't understand the
> real issues involved (security, accuracy, effciency, etc) and just hack
> it to get what looks like some working results. i am not saying all
> self-taught coders are like this (randal schwartz surely is not) but
> without some training or peer review or a true educational curiosity and
> an open mind that is willing to learn, you get moronzilla or robin
> types. they think because something is working on the surface (and it is
> almost always web stuff today) then it must be ok. none of the real dark
> problems are understood nor addressed and of course when you bring them
> up, you get shot down as some elitest. working in the computer field
> requires a certain level of critical and structured thinking and that is
> not something everyone has. but you can get by with a little and code up
> a web page and claim you can do it and get a job. it is annoying to us
> (or me at least) that jobs are harder to find for that reason. now i am
> not for certifications but i wish there was a way to differentiate those
> who understand and know how to handle all aspects of coding and those
> who just code web stuff.
>
> MD> $uri->kindness->increase_by(10);
> MD> $uri->elitarism->increase_by(-10);
>
> and i don't think i was being elistist at all. i was just expressing my
> opinion that i am tired of robin who won't listen properly. so many
> things are still unaddressed by his code. basic fundamentals are lacking
> and just because it shows a functional web page it means to him that it
> is ok. sure for his use but don't pawn it off as something anyone else
> would want if they knew what it was. but then look at what happened to
> matt wright's scripts. thousands of kiddies used them and called
> themselves programmers. blecch.

are you calling me a script kiddie? I wrote a chat server at age 17 and have
read a lot. Maybe my code is not the most perfect code, but I'm taking the
advice of a lot of these people here, doesn't there have to be an artistic
liscence in code? I dunno if it's you who's hypocrite or me...