Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > I know, I know, I don't know

I know, I know, I don't know

Andries

Hello all,

Yes I'm aware this is the wrong newsgroup (so please point me to the
right one please) I looked in alt how to but only porn there.
So please don't flame

My question is this.
I use whisper (a password generator) for accounts.
Meanwhile i have 1500 accounts so i want to put things in a database
or report to analyse.
Problem is that Whisper doesn't have an export function to ascii text.
I mailed the author of the program and he says it's programmed in
delphi and he hasn't the time to programm this.
I'm not a programmer but i remember from my dos days that you can
print-to-file somehow. I like to think i have a text-file and then i
can arrange things. (I'm trying to learn perl so i have a good
playfield to experiment)
I use Windows 2000 and i can't think of anything to solve my problem.

Andries Meijer

mike blamires

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:12:46 +0200, Andries scribbled furiously:

> Hello all,
>
> Yes I'm aware this is the wrong newsgroup (so please point me to the
> right one please) I looked in alt how to but only porn there.
> So please don't flame

I won't flame, just point out alt.os.windows2000 or the large
and often informative newservers supplied by microsoft snews.microsoft.com
which covers a whole multitude of sins

<snip>

> Problem is that Whisper doesn't have an export function to ascii text.
> I mailed the author of the program and he says it's programmed in
> delphi and he hasn't the time to programm this.
> I'm not a programmer but i remember from my dos days that you can
> print-to-file somehow. I like to think i have a text-file and then i
> can arrange things. (I'm trying to learn perl so i have a good
> playfield to experiment)
> I use Windows 2000 and i can't think of anything to solve my problem.

If the output is to the dos screen the adding a > c:\yourfile.txt will
save the output to the ASCII file c:\yourfile.txt if you are generating
lots of different executions of the program you will want to replace >
with >> to append.

whisper >> c:\passwordLog.txt

using a relative path rather than the absolute path above will create the
file relative to the working directory.

cheers
Mike "bit rusty on this windows lark" B

Robin

"Andries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> Yes I'm aware this is the wrong newsgroup (so please point me to the
> right one please) I looked in alt how to but only porn there.
> So please don't flame
>
> My question is this.
> I use whisper (a password generator) for accounts.
> Meanwhile i have 1500 accounts so i want to put things in a database
> or report to analyse.
> Problem is that Whisper doesn't have an export function to ascii text.
> I mailed the author of the program and he says it's programmed in
> delphi and he hasn't the time to programm this.
> I'm not a programmer but i remember from my dos days that you can
> print-to-file somehow. I like to think i have a text-file and then i
> can arrange things. (I'm trying to learn perl so i have a good
> playfield to experiment)
> I use Windows 2000 and i can't think of anything to solve my problem.
>
> Andries Meijer
> (E-Mail Removed)

u coulld.....hmmmmm....use perl. check out http://learn.perl.org
or pipe it with > like the above posted said.

-Robin

Gregory Toomey

Andries wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Yes I'm aware this is the wrong newsgroup (so please point me to the
> right one please) I looked in alt how to but only porn there.
> So please don't flame
>
> My question is this.
> I use whisper (a password generator) for accounts.
> Meanwhile i have 1500 accounts so i want to put things in a database
> or report to analyse.
> Problem is that Whisper doesn't have an export function to ascii text.
> I mailed the author of the program and he says it's programmed in
> delphi and he hasn't the time to programm this.
> I'm not a programmer but i remember from my dos days that you can
> print-to-file somehow. I like to think i have a text-file and then i
> can arrange things. (I'm trying to learn perl so i have a good
> playfield to experiment)
> I use Windows 2000 and i can't think of anything to solve my problem.
>
> Andries Meijer
> (E-Mail Removed)

My thought is to install http://www.cygwin.com/ to get a decent development
environment.

Then either use 'expect' and process the output, or capture the output using
nohup.

gtoomey