Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Opening Ports

Opening Ports

Tony Curtis

>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:38:38 +0100,
>> "Connell Gauld" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Hey, Is there a way to open a port to an IP, send and
> receive information. What I would like is something similar
> to if you use telnet to open to an IP and port except that
> the perl code has control.

If you're doing something with a well-known protocol, there's
almost certainly a module for it:

http://search.cpan.org/

Otherwise look at Net::Cmd and/or IO::Socket::INET

hth

Connell Gauld

Hey,
Is there a way to open a port to an IP, send and receive information. What I
would like is something similar to if you use telnet to open to an IP and
port except that the perl code has control.

Thnaks
Connell

Anno Siegel

Tony Curtis <tony_curtis32@_SPAMTRAP_yahoo.com> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> >> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:38:38 +0100,
> >> "Connell Gauld" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> > Hey, Is there a way to open a port to an IP, send and
> > receive information. What I would like is something similar
> > to if you use telnet to open to an IP and port except that
> > the perl code has control.

> If you're doing something with a well-known protocol, there's
> almost certainly a module for it:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/
>
> Otherwise look at Net::Cmd and/or IO::Socket::INET

Also: Net::EasyTCP

Anno