Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > porting from pl/1

porting from pl/1

anuradha.k.r@sify.com

hi,
I am new to pl1,and do not have proper documentation to the language.
I wanted to know what put page does.What I understand is the sysprint file
will have specific page size and line size,which we mention during sysprint file
open itself.like
open file(sysprint) pagesize(84) linesize(136);
and put page will take up a new page once the pagesize exceeds.
My intention is to port the pl1 file to perl.However I've notheard
of such concepts in perl.Can any one give me the equivalent of this function?
thanx,
AKR.

Joe Smith

> open file(sysprint) pagesize(84) linesize(136);
> and put page will take up a new page once the pagesize exceeds.
> My intention is to port the pl1 file to perl.

Take a look at `perldoc perlform` - you'll see that perl's special
variable $= has the number of lines per page, which is used by
the write() function (but not the print() function).
-Joe

Anno Siegel

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> hi,
> I am new to pl1,and do not have proper documentation to the language.

Then get it. It's the one most important thing you need when working
with a new language.

> I wanted to know what put page does.What I understand is the sysprint file
> will have specific page size and line size,which we mention during
> sysprint file
> open itself.like
> open file(sysprint) pagesize(84) linesize(136);
> and put page will take up a new page once the pagesize exceeds.

Get the documentation and look up the functions. If you don't understand,
ask a PL1 group, not a Perl group.

> My intention is to port the pl1 file to perl.However I've notheard
> of such concepts in perl.Can any one give me the equivalent of this function?
> thanx,

Perhapl, but it's your job to find out what exactly you need done.

Anno

Anno Siegel

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> hi,
> I am new to pl1,and do not have proper documentation to the language.

Then get it. It's the one most important thing you need when working
with a new language.

> I wanted to know what put page does.What I understand is the sysprint file
> will have specific page size and line size,which we mention during
> sysprint file
> open itself.like
> open file(sysprint) pagesize(84) linesize(136);
> and put page will take up a new page once the pagesize exceeds.

Get the documentation and look up the functions. If you don't understand,
ask a PL1 group, not a Perl group.

> My intention is to port the pl1 file to perl.However I've notheard
> of such concepts in perl.Can any one give me the equivalent of this function?
> thanx,

Perhaps, but it's your job to find out what exactly you need done.

Anno

Gregory Toomey

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> hi,
> I am new to pl1,and do not have proper documentation to the language.
> I wanted to know what put page does.What I understand is the sysprint file
> will have specific page size and line size,which we mention during
> sysprint file open itself.like
> open file(sysprint) pagesize(84) linesize(136);
> and put page will take up a new page once the pagesize exceeds.
> My intention is to port the pl1 file to perl.However I've notheard
> of such concepts in perl.Can any one give me the equivalent of this
> function? thanx,
> AKR.

PL/I and Perl (note the spelling/capitalisations) are about 3 decades apart
in development.

All the PL/I linesize and pagesize stuff is for fixed width line printers.
The standard page size was 132 columns and 66 lines IIRC.

But thee days we tend to use proportional fonts in various sizes and use
complex printer control languages. If you just pipe to lpr under linux
unix/bsd you will get fixed fonts and control-l will generate a new page.

If you post a link to the PL/I we could give you more hints on converting.

gtoomey