Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > running multiple versions of perl

running multiple versions of perl

Yoda Pugsley

I'm new to perl and need to write a script for work. After doing some
research into writing perl scripts (I'm a .net dev), I found that a lot of
the examples I had found did not work. After a lot of head scratching (the
UNIX admins are a lot of help too /sarcasm) I checked the perl version,
5.005_3. Most of the examples are from perl 5.8, hence no workie on
5.0whatever.

Given all of this, I'd like to install my own copy of perl 5.8 in my home
directory. Is that going to interfere with the current 5.0 install? I don't
think I could get the admins to move the whole machine to 5.8, so it has to
be a local kind of thing. I know what might happen if I tried something
like this on a Windows machine, but on UNIX, is it possible?

Thanks,
JH

Mothra

"Yoda Pugsley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm new to perl and need to write a script for work. After doing some
> research into writing perl scripts (I'm a .net dev), I found that a lot of
> the examples I had found did not work. After a lot of head scratching (the
> UNIX admins are a lot of help too /sarcasm)

Those are bad admins then - I'm an Admin and I insisted that all our servers
were upgraded to 5.8.0... but then I'm a Perl coder as well. )

> I checked the perl version,
> 5.005_3. Most of the examples are from perl 5.8, hence no workie on
> 5.0whatever.
>
> Given all of this, I'd like to install my own copy of perl 5.8 in my home
> directory. Is that going to interfere with the current 5.0 install? I

don't
> think I could get the admins to move the whole machine to 5.8, so it has

> be a local kind of thing. I know what might happen if I tried something
> like this on a Windows machine, but on UNIX, is it possible?

Yes it is possible. We run some Portal Infranet sevrers here and it comes
with its own complete (out-of-date) version of Perl installed under
/export/home/<username>. As long as you make sure all the files are in one
location and that you don't choose the option to link /usr/bin/perl to
*your* version, you should be fine.

J. Gleixner

Mothra wrote:
> "Yoda Pugsley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>I'm new to perl and need to write a script for work. After doing some
>>research into writing perl scripts (I'm a .net dev), I found that a lot of
>>the examples I had found did not work. After a lot of head scratching (the
>>UNIX admins are a lot of help too /sarcasm)

> Those are bad admins then - I'm an Admin and I insisted that all our servers
> were upgraded to 5.8.0... but then I'm a Perl coder as well. )

Hopefully you have insisted that they upgrade from 5.8.0, since there
were a lot of issues with that release.

heitkamp@ameritech.net

J. Gleixner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Mothra wrote:
>> "Yoda Pugsley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm new to perl and need to write a script for work. After doing some
>>>research into writing perl scripts (I'm a .net dev), I found that a lot of
>>>the examples I had found did not work. After a lot of head scratching (the
>>>UNIX admins are a lot of help too /sarcasm)

>> Those are bad admins then - I'm an Admin and I insisted that all our servers
>> were upgraded to 5.8.0... but then I'm a Perl coder as well. )

>Hopefully you have insisted that they upgrade from 5.8.0, since there
>were a lot of issues with that release.

I have been trying to figure the best way to upgrade perl. I have a
linux system that started with Slackware a long time ago and is now
somewhat Debianized but I install a lot of programs with "configure; make;
make install". The best way to upgrade perl, that I've run across, is:
1. Run "perl -MCPAN -eshell" and run autobundle.
2. Completely delete all perl programs and directories.
3. Compile and install the new perl version.
4. install the bundle created with autobundle.

I am not a perl expert at all, and I wonder if any of the perl experts
can critique my procedure?
--

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe