Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > CPAN shell complains about MD5

CPAN shell complains about MD5

Bill Ding

Background:

I've been writing some code with xharbour (for DBM) and perl, to check
out eBay auctions. Stuff's working pretty nicely so far... for
example, I can give it a query (like "(cat,dog) +(grooming,shampoo)"
and get URL, descriptions, categories, number of bids, buynow status
for all 482 auctions in a browseable database in just s few seconds,
then kick off a lynx session (and no doubt other browsers later, but
I'm working in terminal mode right now) for any given item with a
single keystroke... so far, so good.

The Problem:

I was checking out Schilli's ebay code as shown in Feb 04 (European)
Linux Magazine, and it's got a sidebar titled "ebaywatch requirements"
directing the use of the CPAN shell (which I've never used before). So
I figured, heck, this looks simpler than screwing around searching for
modules, downloading, uncompressing, make-ing, etc etc etc. So... the
config process seemed to go okay, but when I got to the install
WWW::Search::Ebay, it complained about MD5 and wouldn't proceed... in
fact, everything I tried complained about MD5, specifically:

'Can't locate object method "new" via package MD5
(perhaps you forgot to load "MD5"?) at
/usr/lib/local/perl5/5.6.1/CPAN.pm line 4212'

except install MD5, which proclaimed "MD5 is up to date."

Hmmmm... it's up to date, but it's not there. What gives, and how to
fix it?

Ben Morrow

Uranus Corporation wrote:
> I was checking out Schilli's ebay code as shown in Feb 04 (European)
> Linux Magazine, and it's got a sidebar titled "ebaywatch requirements"
> directing the use of the CPAN shell (which I've never used before). So
> I figured, heck, this looks simpler than screwing around searching for
> modules, downloading, uncompressing, make-ing, etc etc etc. So... the
> config process seemed to go okay, but when I got to the install
> WWW::Search::Ebay, it complained about MD5 and wouldn't proceed... in
> fact, everything I tried complained about MD5, specifically:
>
> 'Can't locate object method "new" via package MD5
> (perhaps you forgot to load "MD5"?) at
> /usr/lib/local/perl5/5.6.1/CPAN.pm line 4212'
>
> except install MD5, which proclaimed "MD5 is up to date."
>
> Hmmmm... it's up to date, but it's not there. What gives, and how to
> fix it?

Do you have and MD5.pm installed? Where? Is it in your @INC? Is its .so in a
suitable place?

What happens if you 'install Digest::MD5' instead? (MD5.pm is deprecated
in favour of Digest::MD5.)

Ben

--
Razors pain you / Rivers are damp
Acids stain you / And drugs cause cramp. [Dorothy Parker]