Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > routine/module to translate microsoft extended ascii to plain ascii

routine/module to translate microsoft extended ascii to plain ascii

James O'Brien

Does anyone know of a routine/module to do this? I know I can stick
127 regexes in my code, but I'm looking for something more efficient.
Thanks,
--jim

gnari

"James O'Brien" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Does anyone know of a routine/module to do this? I know I can stick
> 127 regexes in my code, but I'm looking for something more efficient.

search.cpan.org

gnari

James O'Brien

Yeah, I searched already.

Ben Morrow

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (James O'Brien) wrote:
> Does anyone know of a routine/module to do this? I know I can stick
> 127 regexes in my code, but I'm looking for something more efficient.

Can you specify a little more clearly what you want to do? Whatever it
is, it can almost certainly be done with the Encode module; but I can't
help you with how as I don't understand what translation you want.
Firstly, what is 'microsoft extended ascii'? Some 8-bit charset?
(cp-1250, at a guess?) Secondly, how do you wish it to be translated
into ASCII: all top-bit-set characters stripped? Do you have some
mapping from characters > 127 to those below (in which case, there's
certainly no need for 127 regexen: one tr/// will do fine)?

Ben

--
And if you wanna make sense / Whatcha looking at me for? (Fiona Apple)
* (E-Mail Removed) *