Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Unable to generate code...

Unable to generate code...

A Traveler

Hello, i am having this problem. The exact error message is:

"Unable to generate code for a value of type 'System.Web.UI.Page'. This
error occurred while trying to generate the property value for Page."

After a lot of googling, all i can find that this applies to is when trying
to use enum-type datatypes as bit-vector flags, or when use designers to
make an expandable property in the property tool-window. However, NEITHer of
these cases apply to my page. This is only happening on one page in the
project. But the stack trace of the error (included at the end) gives me no
hint of where to even start looking to fix it, of WHAt exactly might be
wrong with the page.

Thanks in advance,
- Arthur Dent.

<stackTrace>
[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to generate code for a value of type
'System.Web.UI.Page'. This error occurred while trying to generate the
property value for Page.]
System.Web.Compilation.CodeDomUtility.GenerateExpr essionForValue(PropertyInfo
propertyInfo, Object value, Type valueType) +2369
System.Web.Compilation.TemplateControlCompiler.Bui ldBuildMethod(ControlBuilder
builder, Boolean fTemplate, PropertySetterEntry pse) +2545
System.Web.Compilation.TemplateControlCompiler.Bui ldSourceDataTreeFromBuilder(ControlBuilder
builder, Boolean fInTemplate, PropertySetterEntry pse) +794
System.Web.Compilation.TemplateControlCompiler.Bui ldSourceDataTreeFromBuilder(ControlBuilder
builder, Boolean fInTemplate, PropertySetterEntry pse) +352
System.Web.Compilation.TemplateControlCompiler.Bui ldSourceDataTreeFromBuilder(ControlBuilder
builder, Boolean fInTemplate, PropertySetterEntry pse) +352
System.Web.Compilation.TemplateControlCompiler.Bui ldSourceDataTreeFromBuilder(ControlBuilder
builder, Boolean fInTemplate, PropertySetterEntry pse) +352
System.Web.Compilation.TemplateControlCompiler.Bui ldMiscClassMembers()
+51
System.Web.Compilation.PageCompiler.BuildMiscClass Members() +9
System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.BuildSourceDat aTree() +1279
System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.GetCompiledTyp e() +129
System.Web.UI.PageParser.CompileIntoType() +59
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemThr oughCompilation() +126

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to generate code for a value of type
'System.Web.UI.Page'. This error occurred while trying to generate the
property value for Page.]
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInt ernal(Boolean
fCreateIfNotFound) +692
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemWit hNewConfigPath() +125
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() +88
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetP arserCacheItem(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +116
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledIns tance(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +36
System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceIn ternal(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +43
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpCo ntext context, String
requestType, String url, String path) +44
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpCont ext context, String
requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +699
System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.Http Application+IExecutionStep.Execute()
+95
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean&
completedSynchronously) +173
</stackTrace>

A Traveler

Well, i finally figured it out, after a day of piece-by-piece rebuilding my
page.

I had a TD tag in my html code which i set to runat="server". I then added
on an attribute named "page" where i was going to keep track of the custom
page my grid was on (im paging by alpha-filters instead of numeric page
numbers). When the page tried to render this control though, it was now an
HtmlTableCell object, which has a Page property (derived from Control
class). It thought i was trying to set that property = "" and it got all
confused. By simply changing the name of my custom attribute from "page" to
"pageindex", it works again. Apparently on a runat=server HTML tag, the
framework will try to interpret any attributes specified as .NET Properties
first, and if there isnt one by that name, then it treats them as HTML
Attributes.

CheerZ.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...