Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Trent Curry, wsanford@wallysanford.com, and falsely using existing email addresses

Trent Curry, wsanford@wallysanford.com, and falsely using existing email addresses

Wally Sanford

I see that someone has been posting to this and other groups since
late 2003 using a false email address, one that happens to belong to
me. I see that this person frequently engages in behaviors such as
flaming, netcopping, and other generally obnoxious behavior.

The problem I have with this is that I don't know how someone can
distinguish my (hopefully polite and netiquitte-compliant) posts from
this malefactor's. There are, suprisingly, many Wally Sanford's out
there: one running a nudist camp, one working at Diazo, and so forth,
but none of those are me. The difference between them, and the
malefactor posting as http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) is that all but the
latter are not falsely using my domain, wallysanford.com, for their
email address.

I suppose I feel poorly about the situation for several reasons: one
is the aditional spam I receive as a result of the subject poster's
posting, another is the obnoxiousness of his/her posts, and the
difficulty in discerning me from him/her. I realize that Usenet is to
some extent anonymous, and that I may have no formal grounds to
prevent such inappropriate use of my email address or domain, but I am
interested in limiting it by whatever means that are available.

I am expert in neither Perl nor Usenet, but I wonder if some of you
who are might advise me how to contact this individual, and reason
with him/her, or alternatively, if you know his/her physical address.

Thank you.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Wally Sanford wrote:
> I see that someone has been posting to this and other groups since
> late 2003 using a false email address, one that happens to belong
> to me.

<snip>

> I realize that ... I may have no formal grounds to prevent such
> inappropriate use of my email address or domain,

I thought (and I surely hope) that abusing somebody's email address
that way is illegal.

The first thing I would do is trying to figure out which ISP he is
using to access Internet, and asking them to take actions. The
"NNTP-Posting-Host:" header seems to contain that info.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Anno Siegel

Wally Sanford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

> I see that someone has been posting to this and other groups since
> late 2003 using a false email address, one that happens to belong to
> me. I see that this person frequently engages in behaviors such as
> flaming, netcopping, and other generally obnoxious behavior.

Yes, we know the guy, by the name "Trent Curry" and perhaps a half or
full dozen others he(?) has been using. His specialty is starting a
flame war, then posting supportive followups to himself under one
or more assumed identities.

> The problem I have with this is that I don't know how someone can
> distinguish my (hopefully polite and netiquitte-compliant) posts from
> this malefactor's.

If that is your only concern you don't have much to worry. The guy has
tried his shenanigans three or four times on clpm, but is intellectually
unable to pull them through. He soon forgets who he is posting as, which
leads to blunders like saying "I" when he ought to say "he" and similar
giveaways.

He is also unable to spell the word "just": one of three times it comes
out as "jsut". Since "just" is indispensable in expressing his exasperation
this happens in about every post of his. In other words, he is found
out before he has really started.

[...]

> I am expert in neither Perl nor Usenet, but I wonder if some of you
> who are might advise me how to contact this individual, and reason
> with him/her, or alternatively, if you know his/her physical address.

From his past behavior I wouldn't expect him to use your address again.
He seems to pick them up at random for use in one of his campaigns, which
lasts until the forgery has become absolutely undeniable. The next
time he picks new ones.

Anno

Wally Sanford

Gunnar Hjalmarsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c0pq75$1ab952
> The first thing I would do is trying to figure out which ISP he is
> using to access Internet, and asking them to take actions. The
> "NNTP-Posting-Host:" header seems to contain that info.

Thanks, Gunnar.

Trent Curry

Wally Sanford wrote:

How exactly did you assicate me with this? I have nothing to do with
whom you speak of. I would not even know of this posting has someoen not
alerted me to it.

--
Trent Curry

perl -e
'($s=qq/e29716770256864702379602c6275605/)=~s!([0-9a-f]{2})!pack("h2",$1
)!eg;print(reverse("$s")."\n");'

Trent Curry

Wally Sanford wrote:
> "Anno Siegel" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
> news:c0qgba$for$(E-Mail Removed)-Berlin.DE...
>
>> From his past behavior I wouldn't expect him to use your address
>> again. He seems to pick them up at random for use in one of his
>> campaigns, which lasts until the forgery has become absolutely
>> undeniable. The next
>> time he picks new ones.
>>
>> Anno

> Thanks, Anno. Yeah, I spent some time searching around about this
> loon, and I see that he goes by Man*ny Wil*o, Al MacH**ney, R*bin
> G*vens, and a host of others. I think I can tell when he stopped
> using one of them and started using my name as an alias.
>
> Harmless though he may be, you can imagine my dismay, in that I do
> not wish to appear to be any more of a loon than I manage to be on my
> own, nor do I wish to be confused with Uber Loons, lest I get a cool
> reception on some group. Say I revived my interest in Perl and
> unwittingly posted to this group using my actual name? At best, I
> might get support only from the, I'd guess, few that haven't
> killfiled this character. That's why I was trying to munge the
> character's aliases above, in hopes that those with loaded killfiles
> might see this.

I have and never had any association with any one either of you have
just listed. Again, I do not know why I was put in this list, I am jsut
greatfu lto the person that alerted me of this thread.

--
Trent Curry

perl -e
'($s=qq/e29716770256864702379602c6275605/)=~s!([0-9a-f]{2})!pack("h2",$1
)!eg;print(reverse("$s")."\n");'

gnari

"Trent Curry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0ue0o$90k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wally Sanford wrote:
> > "Anno Siegel" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
> > news:c0qgba$for$(E-Mail Removed)-Berlin.DE...

> I have and never had any association with any one either of you have
> just listed. Again, I do not know why I was put in this list, I am jsut

oops. you wrote 'jsut'. (see other post by Anno on this thread)

gnari wrote:
> "Trent Curry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0ue0o$90k$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Wally Sanford wrote:
>>> "Anno Siegel" <(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> wrote in message
>>> news:c0qgba$for$(E-Mail Removed)-Berlin.DE...

>> I have and never had any association with any one either of you have
>> just listed. Again, I do not know why I was put in this list, I am
>> jsut

> oops. you wrote 'jsut'. (see other post by Anno on this thread)

This is typical. And thank you for reminding me of the reason I was
first (falsely) branded under that group. I am neither the first nor the
only to make such a typo, and using it to make such a connection is
absurd. I may not type perfectly, but that does not automatically make
part of said group. And that is the ONLY remote semblance of proof that
has ever been used against me. So I once again maintain my original
statement.