Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perl usage these days?

Perl usage these days?

thumb_42@yahoo.com

Just a curious question:

What is perl being used for these days?

Seems almost everything web related I see is PHP or Java. (mostly PHP)

My own experience is that Perl is wonderful for batch processing, command
line stuff, cron and specialized servers but compared to what is available
today, really doesn't seem suitable for serious web applications anymore.

So... what are people doing with it? is it still alive? Do people actually
get paid to work in perl, or is it strictly a labor of love?

(Yes, I know these are FAQ's, but times change, I'm curious about what
people think these days)

Jamie

Tad McClellan

> What is perl being used for these days?
>
> Seems almost everything web related I see is PHP or Java. (mostly PHP)

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are
dreamt of in your philosophy."

There is lots and lots of computing that is not "web related".

> So... what are people doing with it?

The same things they were doing with Perl for all those years before
the web was invented, plus some more.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Ala Qumsieh

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> What is perl being used for these days?
>
> Seems almost everything web related I see is PHP or Java. (mostly PHP)

I have been using Perl at work on almost a daily basis for at least 6 years,
at three different companies in two different countries. Nothing of what I
do is web or IT related.

--Ala

Joe Smith

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> What is perl being used for these days?
>
> Seems almost everything web related I see is PHP or Java. (mostly PHP)
>
> My own experience is that Perl is wonderful for batch processing, command
> line stuff, cron and specialized servers but compared to what is available
> today, really doesn't seem suitable for serious web applications anymore.

http://www.slashcode.com/faq.shtml#Slashcodecom0

-Joe

at

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:50:12 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Just a curious question:
>
>What is perl being used for these days?
>
>Seems almost everything web related I see is PHP or Java. (mostly PHP)
>
>My own experience is that Perl is wonderful for batch processing, command
>line stuff, cron and specialized servers but compared to what is available
>today, really doesn't seem suitable for serious web applications anymore.
>
>So... what are people doing with it? is it still alive? Do people actually
>get paid to work in perl, or is it strictly a labor of love?
>
>(Yes, I know these are FAQ's, but times change, I'm curious about what
>people think these days)
>
>Jamie

My $.02 worth:

Perl is wonderful for text processing. We use it for batch processing
of numerous types of files, generation of email from data content,
generation of forms and formatted letters, etc., etc., etc.

And, our production web site is 100% Perl.

Bob

thumb_42@yahoo.com

Bob Mariotti <R.Mariotti(at)FinancialDataCorp.com> wrote:

> My $.02 worth:
>
> Perl is wonderful for text processing. We use it for batch processing
> of numerous types of files, generation of email from data content,
> generation of forms and formatted letters, etc., etc., etc.
>
> And, our production web site is 100% Perl.

Sounds like you've got an excellent company.

Are they hiring? <g>

In my last company, all the perl was gradually phased out and replaced with
java. (I have to admit, java does have more stable XML handling abilities, and
we were an XML-centric place...)

Was kind of sad because we started the company as a bunch of perl coders.

I wonder, do you folks think maybe perl is declining because people are
waiting for perl 6? (and adopting different languages in the meantime?)

Jamie

pkent

In article <8s4Wb.270436$xy6.1380339@attbi_s02>, (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

> What is perl being used for these days?
>
> Seems almost everything web related I see is PHP or Java. (mostly PHP)

OK, but how exactly do you know what language many web apps are written
in, the ones that _don't_ have very obvious tell-tale marks (e.g.
certain cookies or query string params, or particular filename
extensions)? What about applications that are used in SSIs, so you never
even know about them? Or applications that run behind-the-scenes doing
on-demand content creation for example?

It could be that the sites you happen to use are ones that seem to use
PHP or Java, and you don't visit sites that seem to use perl.

Anyway, to answer your original question we use perl to provide several
hundred metric shedloads of dynamic content, a lot of constantly-updated
content, searches, quizzes, games, user personalization, community
software, message boards, weather forecasts, geographical data,
syndication feeds, data capture, and Much Much More, and that's just the
stuff on the web site.

Behind that we have a content distribution network, something involving
Real media serving, an array of Content Production and Management
Systems, content moderation services, data mining tools, user
administration, automated data munging pipelines, and a vast number of
greater or lesser scripts for a wide variety of purposes.

A quick 'du -sk' shows about 90 megabytes of stuff checked out of our
CVS repository, and (after a little find...) there seem to be 195,000
lines of .pl and .pm files, which is a subset of only our department's
CVS.

And that's just work stuff, so I think perl's quite popular in some
places

Remove the tea to reply

Kevin Shay

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<8s4Wb.270436$xy6.1380339@attbi_s02>...
> What is perl being used for these days?
>
> Seems almost everything web related I see is PHP or Java. (mostly PHP)

Tens of thousands of websites (and not just weblogs, by any means) are
built and maintained with Movable Type, an application written in
Perl.

--Kevin

thumb_42@yahoo.com

pkent <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It could be that the sites you happen to use are ones that seem to use
> PHP or Java, and you don't visit sites that seem to use perl.

True, I suppose people could be using the .php extension for anything, but I
can't see why one would do that. (also, .html's are in many cases perl I
know, because I've done that myself.

> Anyway, to answer your original question we use perl to provide several
> hundred metric shedloads of dynamic content, a lot of constantly-updated
> content, searches, quizzes, games, user personalization, community
> software, message boards, weather forecasts, geographical data,
> syndication feeds, data capture, and Much Much More, and that's just the
> stuff on the web site.

Have you ever regretted using perl? Ever get any flack from others about
using it, and are there maintenance issues that say, wouldn't be there with
other languages?

Have you considered going with PHP/JSP/etc.. on the web side, but having
those languages talk to a perl daemon? (I didn't ask would you consider, I
wonder if you had already or perhaps the manager types tried to push it.)

I've used perl on large projects before, I liked parts of it. seemed to work
pretty good overall, except for the web interface stuff. (was an N-tier
design)

But, I got tons of flack for the 'perl' part. When I left they re-did all my
work using EJB's. (and then the company more or less fell over.. :-/ )

Now I'm wondering, if I ever do anything commercial, would it happen it
again?

It's kind of funny I went to one of suns java conventions. Got into
conversations with people and sometimes when I'd say (somewhat shyly, this
was a flipping java convention afterall) that my main project was in perl,
the reaction was a hushed 'cool', I got the impression some of the
developers there would actually perfer perl.

Jamie

Robert

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
<snip>
> It's kind of funny I went to one of suns java conventions. Got into
> conversations with people and sometimes when I'd say (somewhat shyly, this
> was a flipping java convention afterall) that my main project was in perl,
> the reaction was a hushed 'cool', I got the impression some of the
> developers there would actually perfer perl.
>
> Jamie

That is is the what my Java instructor said when he asked us if we did
any programming. I said "Perl" and he said "Cool".