Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > problem with large hash vanishing

problem with large hash vanishing

Jack

Hi,

I have a perl v5.6.0 program, which reads a
configuration file into a hash of hashes.
The rest of the program does a fetch from
an oracle database, and uses the configuration
hash to do processing. After a number of
successful loops the configuration hash
vanishes, becoming undefined. I have used
perl -d with the W command to watch the
config hash change, but it does not get zapped
to undefined in the debugger.

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong,
and what further debugging I could try?

The program is a bit big to post, and it belongs
to my employer.

Thanks, Jack

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Jack wrote:
> The program ... belongs to my employer.

Then I suggest that you ask your employer for help.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

David K. Wall

Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a perl v5.6.0 program, which reads a
> configuration file into a hash of hashes.

Depending on the format of the config file, you may be able to use a CPAN
module to do this (if you're not already doing so).

> The rest of the program does a fetch from
> an oracle database, and uses the configuration
> hash to do processing. After a number of
> successful loops the configuration hash
> vanishes, becoming undefined. I have used
> perl -d with the W command to watch the
> config hash change, but it does not get zapped
> to undefined in the debugger.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong,

My crystal ball says you have a bug on line 537 that is overwriting your
hash.

> and what further debugging I could try?

No, because you didn't post any code.

> The program is a bit big to post, and it belongs
> to my employer.

I doubt we'd want to see the entire program anyway.

Standard advice: Break it down into a short, preferably self-contained test
case that exhibits the problem. The process of doing so often reveals the
problem (it usually works for me), and if not you have a snippet of code
you can post for us to look at.

--
David Wall