Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > help installing Storable module

help installing Storable module

Mike G.

Hello,

I would like to use the storable-2.08 module on Sun.

I don't have access to overwrite our Perl system files. Which are at an old
version, Perl 5.4.

In the past I have installed Perl modules into my home directory under a dir
called "lib" and accessed them through there.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this with Storable.

I get this error:

Can't load '/usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so' for module
Storable: ld.so.1: /usr/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so: symbol PL_sv_undef:
referenced symbol not found at
/usr/perl5.004/lib/sun4-solaris/5.00404/DynaLoader.pm line 166.

Any idea's?

Thanks,

-Mike

James Willmore

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:39:36 -0500, Mike G. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to use the storable-2.08 module on Sun.
>
> I don't have access to overwrite our Perl system files. Which are at an old
> version, Perl 5.4.
>
> In the past I have installed Perl modules into my home directory under a dir
> called "lib" and accessed them through there.
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to do this with Storable.
>
> I get this error:
>
> Can't load '/usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so' for module
> Storable: ld.so.1: /usr/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error: file
> /usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so: symbol PL_sv_undef:
> referenced symbol not found at
> /usr/perl5.004/lib/sun4-solaris/5.00404/DynaLoader.pm line 166.
>

> Any idea's?

Short answer: ask your admin to upgrade Perl.

Longer answer: Storable is a core Perl module (perldoc perlmodlib).
Because it's a core Perl module, you can't treat it like any other module
you deal with. You can't install a private copy like you can with other
Perl modules.

Basically, you're SOL until you're version of Perl is upgraded.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
No animal should ever jump on the dining room furniture unless
<absolutely certain he can hold his own in conversation. --
<Fran Lebowitz

Ben Morrow

> On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:39:36 -0500, Mike G. wrote:
> > Any idea's?

^
Grrrr

> Short answer: ask your admin to upgrade Perl.
>
> Longer answer: Storable is a core Perl module (perldoc perlmodlib).
> Because it's a core Perl module, you can't treat it like any other module
> you deal with. You can't install a private copy like you can with other
> Perl modules.

This isn't true. Storable wasn't core until 5.8, but it works
perfectly well under 5.6. It does require 5.6, though, so the OP does
need to upgrade.

OP: If you've enough space, you could install a newer version of perl
in a private directory.

Ben

- Pericles of Athens, c.430 B.C.
(E-Mail Removed)