Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > ppm: ppm install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel

ppm: ppm install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel

Marko Faldix

Hello,

I have installed Perl v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Win2k.

I want to install Spreadsheet:arseExcel.
I have to call

ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd

Gives this result:

C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
Panic: Can't find bfs section

Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it mean?

Thanks for solutions.

Marko Faldix

Matt Garrish

"Marko Faldix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bv2q1s$nc4qr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hello,
>
> I have installed Perl v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Win2k.
>
> I want to install Spreadsheet:arseExcel.
> I have to call
>
> ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
>
> Gives this result:
>
> C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
> Panic: Can't find bfs section
>

> Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it

mean?

There was a buggy version of ppm included with one of the 5.6 releases, but
I haven't heard anything about it in the 5.8 releases. You might have to
re-install using a earlier build and let AS know it's broken again. It would
also probably be more beneficial to try posting to the AS mailing lists, as
ppm is their software:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/

Matt

Marko Faldix

Hello,

[snip]

> > Gives this result:
> >
> > C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
> > Panic: Can't find bfs section
> >

> > Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it

> mean?
> >

> There was a buggy version of ppm included with one of the 5.6 releases,

but
> I haven't heard anything about it in the 5.8 releases. You might have to
> re-install using a earlier build and let AS know it's broken again. It

would
> also probably be more beneficial to try posting to the AS mailing lists,

as
> ppm is their software:
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/
>
> Matt

you are right! Uninstalling old version 5.6 and reinstalling 5.8 fixes it.
Thank you very much!

Marko Faldix

James Willmore

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:29:07 +0100, Marko Faldix wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed Perl v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Win2k.
>
> I want to install Spreadsheet:arseExcel.
> I have to call
>
> ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd

Why do you have to call it this way?
Why not
C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel

<snip>

> Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it mean?

Don't know. I install using PPM with just the module name and all works
fine. Have you consulted ActiveState's Knowledgebase?

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Condense soup, not books!

DBD::SQLite install with PPM, MD5 bootstrap parameter ccc31807 Perl Misc 2 12-06-2011 06:42 PM
HOWTO - do local ppm module install (fix "Could not locate a PPDfile") ROC Perl Misc 0 07-09-2005 05:25 PM
PPM and Proxy alex Perl 0 06-18-2004 11:40 AM
ActivePerl - PPM 3.1 upgrade of perl-ldap does not work WS Perl 0 01-04-2004 04:45 PM
Problem using ActiveState PPM to install module Irwin Friedman Perl 1 09-06-2003 10:57 PM

Advertisments