Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > My session-object dies way to early

My session-object dies way to early

Mr m?ll

Hi
Im quite new to web programming and I'm buildning this ASP .net page.

I use VS 2003 and C# + IIS 5. The page consists of a login page that
leads to a frame page (with some pages, reading from a MSDE-database)

In the projects web.config-file I have
sessionState mode="InProc"
cookieless="true"
timeout="40"

But all I get is a few lousy minutes before my Session-object dies.
What am I doing wrong ?

/Thanks in advance, Mll

=?Utf-8?B?UHN5Y2hv?=

take a look in
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFI G\machine.config at
sessionState tag and look at attribute timeout to see how many minutes is set
there.

hope helps
Cheers

"Mr m?ll" wrote:

> Hi
> Im quite new to web programming and I'm buildning this ASP .net page.
>
> I use VS 2003 and C# + IIS 5. The page consists of a login page that
> leads to a frame page (with some pages, reading from a MSDE-database)
>
> In the projects web.config-file I have
> sessionState mode="InProc"
> cookieless="true"
> timeout="40"
>
> But all I get is a few lousy minutes before my Session-object dies.
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> /Thanks in advance, Möll

=?Utf-8?B?UHN5Y2hv?=

if you are having problem with sql connection then you should change your
connectiontimeout on command and set to this a longer timeout. I think it is
set to 5 min.

"Mr m?ll" wrote:

> Hi
> Im quite new to web programming and I'm buildning this ASP .net page.
>
> I use VS 2003 and C# + IIS 5. The page consists of a login page that
> leads to a frame page (with some pages, reading from a MSDE-database)
>
> In the projects web.config-file I have
> sessionState mode="InProc"
> cookieless="true"
> timeout="40"
>
> But all I get is a few lousy minutes before my Session-object dies.
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> /Thanks in advance, Möll

=?Utf-8?B?UHN5Y2hv?=

if this still doesn't work i found that there is another option which can be
set to make your session longer.
In IIS on your web application right click properties
on virtual directory tab click configuration button
here on option tab set your session timeout.

"Mr m?ll" wrote:

> Hi
> Im quite new to web programming and I'm buildning this ASP .net page.
>
> I use VS 2003 and C# + IIS 5. The page consists of a login page that
> leads to a frame page (with some pages, reading from a MSDE-database)
>
> In the projects web.config-file I have
> sessionState mode="InProc"
> cookieless="true"
> timeout="40"
>
> But all I get is a few lousy minutes before my Session-object dies.
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> /Thanks in advance, Möll

=?Utf-8?B?RXRoZW0gQXp1bg==?=

Hi,

I guess that you use forms authentication. Do you have a timeout defined for
forms authentication on the web.config? The problem can be as follows; if the
forms authentication cookie expires (assuming you have a nonpersistent
cookie), the session will be lost although it did not expire yet.

Btw, in my tests, I see that when you put a session timeout on the IIS level
and when you also define it on web.config on session state, then the setting
on web.config overwrites the IIS setting.

"Mr m?ll" wrote:

> Hi
> Im quite new to web programming and I'm buildning this ASP .net page.
>
> I use VS 2003 and C# + IIS 5. The page consists of a login page that
> leads to a frame page (with some pages, reading from a MSDE-database)
>
> In the projects web.config-file I have
> sessionState mode="InProc"
> cookieless="true"
> timeout="40"
>
> But all I get is a few lousy minutes before my Session-object dies.
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> /Thanks in advance, Möll

=?Utf-8?B?RXRoZW0gQXp1bg==?=

Hi,

I guess that you use forms authentication. Do you have a timeout defined for
forms authentication on the web.config? The problem can be as follows; if the
forms authentication cookie expires (assuming you have a nonpersistent
cookie), the session will be lost although it did not expire yet.

Btw, in my tests, I see that when you put a session timeout on the IIS level
and when you also define it on web.config on session state, then the setting
on web.config overwrites the IIS setting.

Hope this helps,

Ethem

"Mr m?ll" wrote:

> Hi
> Im quite new to web programming and I'm buildning this ASP .net page.
>
> I use VS 2003 and C# + IIS 5. The page consists of a login page that
> leads to a frame page (with some pages, reading from a MSDE-database)
>
> In the projects web.config-file I have
> sessionState mode="InProc"
> cookieless="true"
> timeout="40"
>
> But all I get is a few lousy minutes before my Session-object dies.
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> /Thanks in advance, Möll

Mr m?ll

Thanks guys!

Sorry for not answering your posts earlier haven't been home...
anyway. I tried some of the things you suggested and now I have my
40 mins for the session-object (can't really say what did it though ... )

Best regards, Möll

infinite loop unexpectly dies Vedran Vukotic Perl 0 03-02-2006 07:43 AM
Echo Reply dies at pix alex Cisco 3 07-29-2004 06:40 PM
Net::SNMP dies on any OID error and doesn't return other possibly good values dan byers Perl 1 03-06-2004 09:50 AM
Holding Page for when Application Domain dies? I appreciate your help.... anony ASP .Net 2 12-22-2003 02:14 PM
Perl 'system' Creates Program That Dies When First C Program Dies Christopher M. Lusardi Perl Misc 3 10-19-2003 11:53 AM

Advertisments