Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > "Simple Database Program" help!

"Simple Database Program" help!

Mark Creelman

Hello all:

I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from

http://www.thescripts.com/serverside...m/database.txt

with good success. I have already modified it heavily with good results. I am however stuck on something that I feel should have been built into it,
but for some reason wasn't. During the search routine of the script that searches the database for a match based on the entered query, there is no
subroutine to return all records. (aka entering the equivalent wildcard of *.* and having it return all records) ditto for the modify and delete
functions.

I've scoured it up, down and inside out, and I can see where the search and return results subroutines are, but the syntac gets a little bit
over my head at that point..I'm sure its simple, but I can't see it.

I've e-mailed the author on this, but no response.

Thankyou to anyone who can help me out.

Mark

Uri Guttman

comp.lang.perl doesn't exist. any newsservers that have it are poorly
admined.

MC> I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from

MC> http://www.thescripts.com/serverside...m/database.txt

you got what you paid for. pay $0, get crap code.

MC> with good success. I have already modified it heavily with good
MC> results. I am however stuck on something that I feel should have
MC> been built into it, but for some reason wasn't. During the search
MC> routine of the script that searches the database for a match based
MC> on the entered query, there is no subroutine to return all
MC> records. (aka entering the equivalent wildcard of *.* and having
MC> it return all records) ditto for the modify and delete functions.

then write it yourself. i won't go near that pile of poo code.

MC> I've e-mailed the author on this, but no response.

quality support is common for free crap scripts

MC> Thankyou to anyone who can help me out.

hire a real programmer next time. that script is so bad but you
obviously can't tell as you were blinded by its cost.

uri

James Willmore

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:25:37 +0000, Mark Creelman wrote:

> I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from

<snip>

> I've e-mailed the author on this, but no response.

You have a few options:

1) email the author again

2) write your own - this may be the best option, because a lot of the
script that you can download have been written by those with little or no
programming experience ... and even less experience with secure
programming (for example: does the script have taint checking enabled
('-T' on the first line).

3) pay someone else to do it for you - and make sure you get your money's
worth out of it

> Thankyou to anyone who can help me out.

You're welcome.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

Tad McClellan

Uri Guttman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> MC> I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from

[ "the web" ]

> i won't go near that pile of poo code.

I thought this line of code was quite telling:

$delimeter = "|";

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

Uri Guttman

MC> I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from

TM> [ "the web" ]

>> i won't go near that pile of poo code.

TM> I thought this line of code was quite telling:

TM> $delimeter = "|";

delimeter: noun, scale used to weigh and price cold cuts.
also the unit of length for salamis.

uri

Jay Tilton

:
: > I am attempting to use a database program that I downloaded from
:
: <snip>
:
: > I've e-mailed the author on this, but no response.
:
: You have a few options:
:
: 1) email the author again

Not worth the time. The author commits so many novice mistakes in the
program that you have to doubt his competence.

: 2) write your own - this may be the best option, because a lot of the
: script that you can download have been written by those with little or no
: programming experience ... and even less experience with secure
: programming (for example: does the script have taint checking enabled
: ('-T' on the first line).

This one doesn't. And the program uses some of the unlaundered data in
string evals. Scary stuff.

: 3) pay someone else to do it for you - and make sure you get your money's
: worth out of it

That option sounds pretty good. The program is really about maintaining
a CSV database. Rewriting the whole thing to use DBI would take no
time, would provide the extensibility the OP wants, and would allow
transparent migration to a more robust database when the needs outgrow
CSV.