Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Top-Level Namespace Suggestion/Request: VirtualFS::

Top-Level Namespace Suggestion/Request: VirtualFS::

Stevie-O

I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
VirtualFS:: ?

Ben Morrow

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Stevie-O) wrote:
> I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
> image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
> anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
> VirtualFS:: ?

Is there any good reason not to use Filesys:

Ben

--
"The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Stevie-O <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
:image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
:anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
:VirtualFS:: ?

I'd think that if it the module is portable, usable wherever fine
perls are available, that a top-level namespace would not be
inappropriate. But something under File:: might be a little better.

OT Question:
.iso files are often fairly large (e.g., 650 Mb). Have you applied
any particular optimization techniques to improve read performance?
Direct IO, scatter-gather, directory caching?
--
"Infinity is like a stuffed walrus I can hold in the palm of my hand.
Don't do anything with infinity you wouldn't do with a stuffed walrus."

Bruce Horrocks

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >, Stevie-O
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I've written a module that can read files out of an .iso (iso9660 cd
>image) file, and I've tentatively called it VirtualFS::ISO9660. Does
>anyone have a problem with me taking the top-level namespace
>VirtualFS:: ?

CD::ISO9660 ??

Which then leaves the way open for:
CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.

Regards,
--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bruce Horrocks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:CD::ISO9660 ??

:Which then leaves the way open for:
:CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.

With obvious extensions desired into DVD, but DVD wouldn't want
to use the CD prefix. Besides, there is already an Audio::CD
and AudioCD and Video:VDRip -- and it would be good if those could
be layered on top of virtual filesystems.
--
Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tenser, said the Tensor.

Stevie-O

(this is in response the two responses sent back to me)

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:<bumsih$pvt$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> I'd think that if it the module is portable, usable wherever fine
> perls are available,

Works on my Windows box.
Works on my Linux shells.
> that a top-level namespace would not be
> inappropriate. But something under File:: might be a little better.

Well, nothing about the concept actually implies that it's backed by a
file on the local filesystem. For example, a VirtualFS::HTTP might let
you 'open' files that are on an HTTP server and access them with
read() or <>.

> OT Question:
> .iso files are often fairly large (e.g., 650 Mb). Have you applied
> any particular optimization techniques to improve read performance?
> Direct IO, scatter-gather, directory caching?

It does some slight caching for finding file information, nothing huge
atm.

Bruce Horrocks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed) >, Stevie-O
>
> CD::ISO9660 ??
>
> Which then leaves the way open for:
> CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.

Well, I had decided upon VirtualFS:: because there's no reason someone
couldn't do something similar and write VirtualFS::Ext2,
VirtualFS::Minix, the VirtualFS::HTTP I mentioned above (treat remote
HTTP files as local, how cool would that be?).

Incidentally, I plan to do VirtualFS::ISO9660::Joliet later on.

Bruce Horrocks

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >, Stevie-O
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> CD::ISO9660 ??
>>
>> Which then leaves the way open for:
>> CD::Audio, CD::Joliet etc.
>>

>Well, I had decided upon VirtualFS:: because there's no reason someone
>couldn't do something similar and write VirtualFS::Ext2,
>VirtualFS::Minix, the VirtualFS::HTTP I mentioned above (treat remote
>HTTP files as local, how cool would that be?).

I hadn't spotted Audio::CD [1] so VirtualFS:: is as good as any. It
solves the problem of what to do with DVD as well.

Regards,

[1] I thought that I had looked under every possibility in CPAN for
likely candidates but didn't think to check for "Audio" first.