Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How well a PHP or Perl programmer paid comparing to Java

How well a PHP or Perl programmer paid comparing to Java

Market Mutant

I just wonder job selections, job openings and salary level of PHP programer
or Perl programmer comparing to Java programmers.

Is Java programmer's salary has a minimal of 60K in US? Are there many PHP
jobs?

CountScubula

"Market Mutant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ho3Ob.52244$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just wonder job selections, job openings and salary level of PHP

programer
> or Perl programmer comparing to Java programmers.
>
> Is Java programmer's salary has a minimal of 60K in US? Are there many PHP
> jobs?

Personaly, I don't see it as high as $60k. Don't get me wrong, there may be
a Java programmer making that or more. People get paid what thier worth,
unfortunalty, to any of my companies, Java is worthless. I would rather take
on two PHP programmers at $30k apiece

--
Mike Bradley
http://www.gzentools.com -- free online php tools

Gregory Toomey

CountScubula wrote:

> "Market Mutant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ho3Ob.52244$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I just wonder job selections, job openings and salary level of PHP

> programer
>> or Perl programmer comparing to Java programmers.
>>
>> Is Java programmer's salary has a minimal of 60K in US? Are there many
>> PHP jobs?
>>

> Personaly, I don't see it as high as $60k. Don't get me wrong, there may
> be a Java programmer making that or more. People get paid what thier
> worth, unfortunalty, to any of my companies, Java is worthless. I would
> rather take on two PHP programmers at $30k apiece
>

> --
> Mike Bradley
> http://www.gzentools.com -- free online php tools

I just saw a manager's job in today's (Saturday) edition for the local
health department. It talked about a "Java, CORBA, N-Tier" architecture. I
read that as "slow, slower, slowest".

As someone who has real web-based businesses that needs rapid prototyping, I
would NEVER consider Java.

gtoomey

Jochen Buennagel

CountScubula wrote:
> I would rather take on two PHP programmers at $30k apiece

30? Woa!

Am I glad I'm in Europe where companies tend to pay programmers what
they're worth...

Jochen

Chung Leong

PHP is too easy to set up, that's the problem. Any bozo can install it on
their PC, ticker with it a little bit, then claim 2 years of PHP experience
on his resume.

Companies that uses PHP also tend to be smaller and on the stingy side--at
least here in the States.

Uzytkownik "Jochen Buennagel" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisal w
wiadomosci news:bubdto$8i8$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> CountScubula wrote:
> > I would rather take on two PHP programmers at $30k apiece

> 30? Woa!
>
> Am I glad I'm in Europe where companies tend to pay programmers what
> they're worth...
>
> Jochen

Jürgen Exner

Market Mutant wrote:
> I just wonder job selections, job openings and salary level of PHP
> programer or Perl programmer comparing to Java programmers.
>
> Is Java programmer's salary has a minimal of 60K in US? Are there
> many PHP jobs?

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but shouldn't a good programmer be able
to learn a new language within a month or so? Ok, the basics he can learn
within a week and real proficiency takes somewhat longer, maybe 3-6 months.
But nevertheless.

I mean, if you want someone to finish a specific project short term, then
ok, you hire someone who knows the language that are using already.
But if you want an employee with a long-term perspective, is his current
spectrum of programming languages really that important? It gives an
indication about how capable he may be, but it is one factor among many(!)
others and not the dominant factor at that.

jue

Jochen Buennagel

Chung Leong wrote:

> PHP is too easy to set up, that's the problem. Any bozo can install it on
> their PC, ticker with it a little bit, then claim 2 years of PHP experience
> on his resume.

But he won't make it past the first month if there is anyone watching
what he does. The next time they hire, they might be more wary (sp?). If
not, they deserve what they're getting and I wouldn't want to work for
them anyway, because they won't appreciate my work.

> Companies that uses PHP also tend to be smaller and on the stingy side--at
> least here in the States.

As a freelancer, I usually tell them to hire the highschool kid for
$10/h. When I call back 2-4 weeks later, most of the time I'll get the
job for my normal rate, based on their experience.

Jochen

CountScubula

judge this by how fast you can learn a new spoken laguage as in French,
German, etc... sure we can learn the words, and I can say "Pick up the
pencil" but it doesnt become fluent for a while.

I would not consider learning any language to be done in a month, or 3-6.

Any programmer that comes at me with that attitude, Well, I will call him,
dont call me.

--
Mike Bradley
http://www.gzentools.com -- free online php tools
"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9zdOb.7148$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Market Mutant wrote:
> > I just wonder job selections, job openings and salary level of PHP
> > programer or Perl programmer comparing to Java programmers.
> >
> > Is Java programmer's salary has a minimal of 60K in US? Are there
> > many PHP jobs?

> Sorry for asking a stupid question, but shouldn't a good programmer be

able
> to learn a new language within a month or so? Ok, the basics he can learn
> within a week and real proficiency takes somewhat longer, maybe 3-6

months.
> But nevertheless.
>
> I mean, if you want someone to finish a specific project short term, then
> ok, you hire someone who knows the language that are using already.
> But if you want an employee with a long-term perspective, is his current
> spectrum of programming languages really that important? It gives an
> indication about how capable he may be, but it is one factor among many(!)
> others and not the dominant factor at that.
>
> jue

Walter Roberson

In article <9zdOb.7148$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Sorry for asking a stupid question, but shouldn't a good programmer be able
:to learn a new language within a month or so? Ok, the basics he can learn
:within a week and real proficiency takes somewhat longer, maybe 3-6 months.
:But nevertheless.

"real proficiency" can take a lot longer than 3-6 months.

I've been programming in perl for 5+ years, but I don't consider myself
to be proficient yet. Perl is a moving target, and it is a big
target; in 3-6 months you probably aren't going to have a chance to
exercise a wide enough variety of constructs to really be "proficient".

Similarily, there's a very big difference between learning the
mechanics of C++ and learning it to the point of proficiency. I have
a copy of the official C++ ANSI standard, and it is at least 3 inches
(8 cm) thick of dense reference material. Learning how and -when- to
use each of those facilities takes more than 3-6 months.

I do a lot of work these days with Cisco PIX firewalls. PIX has
configuration commands, but is not "programmable". Learning the basics
of PIX only takes a couple of hours, but even after 2 1/2 years of
actively working on PIX and reading (and answering) lots of
comp.dcom.sys.cisco postings about PIX, I can still only answer
somewhere around 40% of the questions. There is a combinatorial
interaction between the features, and there are new features being
introduced every couple of months.

If you just want someone who can get the computer to dance a jig,
then perhaps someone "imported" from another language will do -- but
to get it to dance *gracefully*, you want experience in that language.
--
When your posts are all alone / and a user's on the phone/
there's one place to check -- / Upstream!

Chris Mattern

CountScubula wrote:
> judge this by how fast you can learn a new spoken laguage as in French,
> German, etc... sure we can learn the words, and I can say "Pick up the
> pencil" but it doesnt become fluent for a while.

Human languages are far larger and immensely more complex than
computer languages--as is shown by the fact that computers
can understand computer languages but not human languages.

> I would not consider learning any language to be done in a month, or 3-6.
>
> Any programmer that comes at me with that attitude, Well, I will call him,
> dont call me.

Your loss then. In my opinion, an average new language can be
learned well in a month of intense study. If the language
involves a radically different way of expressing a program's
logic (Prolog, for example), it can be learned in 3-6 months.

Chris Mattern