Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Start an internet connection automatically

Start an internet connection automatically

Jean

How Perl can start automatically my Internet connection ?

I want to start (let's say every hour) my internet connection, look
for new eMails and beep or alert the user that ther should be
something to read, and then disconnect...

Thank you very much,

Jean

Anno Siegel

Jean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
> How Perl can start automatically my Internet connection ?
>
> I want to start (let's say every hour) my internet connection, look
> for new eMails and beep or alert the user that ther should be
> something to read, and then disconnect...

What have you tried so far?

We can help with problems, but we don't deliver solutions to specification.

Anno

Gregory Toomey

Jean wrote:

> How Perl can start automatically my Internet connection ?
>
> I want to start (let's say every hour) my internet connection, look
> for new eMails and beep or alert the user that ther should be
> something to read, and then disconnect...
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Jean

Operating system? Dialup, ISDN, DSL?

This is very operating system/environment specific. For example you could
get Perl to start up the Linux pppd deamon. But I'd probably use bash
instead.

gtoomey

Charlton Wilbur

AS> We can help with problems, but we don't deliver solutions to
AS> specification.

Well, actually, some of us *do*, but only if you pay us.

Charlton

--
cwilbur at chromatico dot net
cwilbur at mac dot com