Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > SourceCode : perl OOPS by Conway:

SourceCode : perl OOPS by Conway:

Sunil Choudhary

Hi Guys
I downloaded the perlcode.zip from the website www.manning.com/conway
for the book by Damien Conway on Object Oriented Perl. (I have first
edition)
My Plight is that i am not able to understand how the code snippets are
organised as there seems to be no reference in the book as to what is
the name of the script that is available. in the perlcode.zip or vice
versa .

All the while I have to do ..
grep -il XXXX *.* to find out the list of best possible search for
any script I am working on.

Thank anyone who can provide some better way.

regards
Choudhary

James Willmore

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:19:52 +0530, Sunil Choudhary wrote:

> Hi Guys
> I downloaded the perlcode.zip from the website www.manning.com/conway
> for the book by Damien Conway on Object Oriented Perl. (I have first
> edition)
> My Plight is that i am not able to understand how the code snippets are
> organised as there seems to be no reference in the book as to what is
> the name of the script that is available. in the perlcode.zip or vice
> versa .
>
> All the while I have to do ..
> grep -il XXXX *.* to find out the list of best possible search for
> any script I am working on.
>
> Thank anyone who can provide some better way.

I have the same book. I downloaded the source. I see what you mean.

Email the author and tell him "Shame on you for not including a listing of
files and how they relate to the book".

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
How do you explain school to a higher intelligence? -- Elliot,
"E.T."

Uri Guttman

JW> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:19:52 +0530, Sunil Choudhary wrote:

>> I downloaded the perlcode.zip from the website
>> www.manning.com/conway for the book by Damien Conway on Object
>> Oriented Perl. (I have first edition) My Plight is that i am not
>> able to understand how the code snippets are organised as there
>> seems to be no reference in the book as to what is the name of the
>> script that is available. in the perlcode.zip or vice versa .
>>
>> All the while I have to do ..
>> grep -il XXXX *.* to find out the list of best possible search for
>> any script I am working on.

JW> I have the same book. I downloaded the source. I see what you mean.

JW> Email the author and tell him "Shame on you for not including a listing of
JW> files and how they relate to the book".

and email the publisher, manning as well. this can (and should) be
easily corrected. both conway and manning should be responsive to a
politely worded request for this. if you get no response and still need
any help, let me know.

uri

James Willmore

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:32:08 +0000, Uri Guttman wrote:

> JW> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:19:52 +0530, Sunil Choudhary wrote:

> JW> I have the same book. I downloaded the source. I see what you
> mean.
>
> JW> Email the author and tell him "Shame on you for not including a
> listing of JW> files and how they relate to the book".
>
> and email the publisher, manning as well. this can (and should) be
> easily corrected. both conway and manning should be responsive to a
> politely worded request for this. if you get no response and still need
> any help, let me know.

<ot>
I meant no offense. His book was very though and I though his sources
would have been as well. However, you make a good point that it may have
been the publisher's doing in this case.

It's sad that once a book is written and published, the publisher retains
more control than the author over the finished product.
</ot>

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Whatever is said in
Latin sounds profound.)

David Combs

In article <(E-Mail Removed) t>,
James Willmore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's sad that once a book is written and published, the publisher retains
>more control than the author over the finished product.

A couple of years ago he told me that they (Manning)
also had the rights to any *second* volume -- or in fact
to anything on the same subject (oop in perl) that he
might write, and that, however, they had decided,
he thought, *not* to publish such a book.

He said, back then, that he was legally blocked.

(I suggested he *ask* them to release him, but
he wasn't too optimistic about doing that.)

Which is way too bad, since even back then
he said that he had enough new material,
uncovered in the existing book, to fill an
entire second book (I think that's what he said.)

Does anyone have any news since then?

David

Matt Garrish

"David Combs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0264h$t2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) t>,
> James Willmore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >It's sad that once a book is written and published, the publisher retains
> >more control than the author over the finished product.

> A couple of years ago he told me that they (Manning)
> also had the rights to any *second* volume -- or in fact
> to anything on the same subject (oop in perl) that he
> might write, and that, however, they had decided,
> he thought, *not* to publish such a book.

While he's under contract to them, sure, but I've never heard of such a
clause that can ban someone from ever writing on a topic for another
publisher. At most he might have to agree not to write a similar book for a
couple of years, anything longer than that and he signed a really bad
contract.

> He said, back then, that he was legally blocked.
>
> (I suggested he *ask* them to release him, but
> he wasn't too optimistic about doing that.)

You should have told him to push for a release. Most publishers aren't
willing to legally pursue their authors if they want to end their contracts
prematurely. It really doesn't make you look good to hound the people
providing the content, and will discourage others from doing business with
you in the future (and there's also very little to gain by suing an
author!). Were he selling books along the lines of J.K. Rowlings it might be
a different story.

> Which is way too bad, since even back then
> he said that he had enough new material,
> uncovered in the existing book, to fill an
> entire second book (I think that's what he said.)

It is, because his is far-and-away the best Perl book I've ever owned.

Matt