Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Install Perl module on Windows

Install Perl module on Windows

Stéphane Métais

Hello,

I need to add a few PERL modules to my ActivePerl 5.6.1 distribution.
Some of them require a c-compiler
Since my hosts are not dev stations, they don't have any C-compiler.

Could you please advise me for a "light weight" c-compiler which could
be easyly installed before perl modules ?

TIA

Merry Christmas

--
Stéphane
please remove -pourriel in my address for response

Tom

news:3fe94069$0$1158$(E-Mail Removed)...

Borland has a free C compiler at www.borland.com
They used to, anyway.

Tom

Nick Santos

http://www.bloodshed.net

free compiler called dev C++; uses the mingw32 compiler (I think) and has a
nice little workspace
If you like linux style environments, http://www.cygwin.com - that can give
you a lot more than a c compiler too
both can be fairly simpel or fairly complex

"Stéphane Métais" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fe94069$0$1158$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I need to add a few PERL modules to my ActivePerl 5.6.1 distribution.
> Some of them require a c-compiler
> Since my hosts are not dev stations, they don't have any C-compiler.
>
> Could you please advise me for a "light weight" c-compiler which could
> be easyly installed before perl modules ?
>
> TIA
>
> Merry Christmas
>
> --
> Stéphane
> please remove -pourriel in my address for response

Helgi Briem

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:29:45 +0100, Stéphane Métais
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need to add a few PERL modules to my ActivePerl 5.6.1 distribution.
>Some of them require a c-compiler
>Since my hosts are not dev stations, they don't have any C-compiler.
>
>Could you please advise me for a "light weight" c-compiler which could
>be easyly installed before perl modules ?

You don't need a C compiler.

Use PPM (Perl Package Manager) which comes with the Activeperl
distribution.

The syntax is

C:\>ppm install MODULE

If that doesn't work, you probably need to configure
a proxy. Set the environment variable HTTP_PROXY
to something like
http://proxy.yourdomainortnumber

If you need packages that are not in the Activestate
repository, read

C:\>ppm help repository

on how to set others.