Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > monitor windows processes

monitor windows processes

RB

Does anyone know how to monitor the existance of a process running in
windows task manager.

Basically I want to start another process only if the previous has finished
and the script runs in windows.

Thanks

David K. Wall

[comp.lang.perl was rmgrouped in August 1995. It offically no longer exists,
so please don't post there. We can't help it if some carelessly-administered
news servers still carry it.]

"RB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to monitor the existance of a process running in
> windows task manager.
>
> Basically I want to start another process only if the previous has finished
> and the script runs in windows.

Often someone has already solved a particular problem and made it available
on the CPAN. Try searching there: http://search.cpan.org/

Win32:rocess::Info looks useful.

--
David Wall

Daniel Berger

"RB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bsa908$2o0g$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Does anyone know how to monitor the existance of a process running in
> windows task manager.
>
> Basically I want to start another process only if the previous has finished
> and the script runs in windows.
>
> Thanks

You have a couple of choices. The first is to record the pid of that
process somewhere and test whether or not it's running using "kill 0"
(same as Unix).

Your other option is to resort to something like Win32:rocess::Info
or Proc:rocessTable and check for the name of the process.

Regards,

Dan