Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > perl against ms access

perl against ms access

Mike_red

Hello,

I hope someone can solve my problem here.

I am currently working/programming a website using Debian Linux + Perl
+ PHP + PostgreSQL + Apache.

Some data in the postgreSQL server must be updated from a Microsft
Access database once a week.
The Micorosft Access database is running on a Windows NT 4 platform.

How can i connect to this database with PERL.
The PERL script will be running on the Debian server.

What is the appropriate module in perl that can access a ms access
database trought the network and retrieve the data?

/ mike

Ben Morrow

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mike_red) wrote:
> How can i connect to this database with PERL.

Perl or perl, not PERL.

> The PERL script will be running on the Debian server.
>
> What is the appropriate module in perl that can access a ms access
> database trought the network and retrieve the data?

With MS SQL Server I've had success with DBI and DBD::Sybase. Access
may be the same...

Ben

on the strictest morality. [Samuel Butler, paraphrased] (E-Mail Removed)

David K. Wall

Mike_red <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am currently working/programming a website using Debian Linux +
> Perl + PHP + PostgreSQL + Apache.
>
> Some data in the postgreSQL server must be updated from a Microsft
> Access database once a week.
> The Micorosft Access database is running on a Windows NT 4
> platform.
>
> How can i connect to this database with PERL.
> The PERL script will be running on the Debian server.
>
> What is the appropriate module in perl that can access a ms access
> database trought the network and retrieve the data?

You might check the docs for DBD::ODBC. Here's a quote:

How do I access an MS-Access database from Linux?

I believe you can use the multi-tier drivers from
http://www.openlinksw.com, however, I have not tested this.
Also, I believe there is a commercial solution from
http://www.easysoft.com. I have not tested this.

My copy of DBD::ODBC may not be the most recent version, so check the
CPAN.

--
David Wall