Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Retrieving dynamic web content

Retrieving dynamic web content

Charlie

I would like to write a script that retrieves dynamically generated web
content. Are there any modules out there that can do this?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Tad McClellan

Charlie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would like to write a script that retrieves dynamically generated web
> content.

Whether it is static or dynamic does not matter, a resource
is a resource, it is up to the server to provide the requested
resource in any way that it wants to.

If what you want to do is fetch the resource, then your Perl
program is acting as the _client_ rather than as the server.

> Are there any modules out there that can do this?

Yes.

perldoc -q HTML

How do I fetch an HTML file?

How do I automate an HTML form submission?

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
Fort Worth, Texas

Charlie

Thanks for your replies. I made a mistake in describing my original goal:
the pages are in fact dynamically generated, but what I was actually
referring to is data that is pulled up from a db using javascript. The
HTML code doesn't reflect the data itself; is it possible to somehow
retrieve the data that is displayed in a browser rather than the source?

Charlie

On 20 Nov 2003, Abigail wrote:

> Charlie ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote on MMMDCCXXXIII September MCMXCIII in
> <URL:news(E-Mail Removed)>:
> @@
> @@ I would like to write a script that retrieves dynamically generated web
> @@ content. Are there any modules out there that can do this?
>

> For a client, it doesn't matter whether web content is generated
> dynamically or not. In fact, he doesn't even know.
>
> The most commonly used modules for this sort of thing are:
> LWP, LWP::Simple and WWW::Mechanize. Calling 'wget' or 'lynx'
> is a solution too.
>
> If all you want to do is to fetch a document, I'd go for LWP::Simple.
>

> Abigail
> --
> srand 123456;$-=rand$_--=>@[[$-,$_]=@[[$_,$-]for(reverse+1..(@[=split
> //=>"IGrACVGQ\x02GJCWVhP\x02PL\x02jNMP"));print+(map {$_^q^"^}@[),"\n"

Sam Holden

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:46:21 -0800, Charlie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for your replies. I made a mistake in describing my original goal:
> the pages are in fact dynamically generated, but what I was actually
> referring to is data that is pulled up from a db using javascript. The
> HTML code doesn't reflect the data itself; is it possible to somehow
> retrieve the data that is displayed in a browser rather than the source?

Run it through a Javascript interpreter.

--
Sam Holden