Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Net::SMTP on Windows 2000. I'm stuck!

Net::SMTP on Windows 2000. I'm stuck!

Just Me

I'm new to Perl and am trying to learn how this whole module thing works.
I've Read the docs and the help files, and think I have installed libnet
v1.17 by executing makefile.pl It went through, I set appropriate hosts
(particulary SMTP which is my interest).

I'm using ActivePerl 5.6. Everything I read says I need to "use Net::SMTP"
but use is not a valid command from Windows, and in PPM it is an unknown or
ambiguous.

I can not for the life of me figgure out how to "Use" the Net::SMTP module,
or the Net-SMTP-Server-Clinet2 module from Windows, PPM or from within
another script. Where should this "use" command be entered?

I'm sure it is a syntax thing that I'm just overlooking, but any advise is
appreciated.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Just Me wrote:
> Everything I read says I need to "use Net::SMTP" but use is not a
> valid command from Windows, and in PPM it is an unknown or
> ambiguous.

No, use is a Perl pragma, and can be included in Perl programs.

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/pod...l#Perl-Modules

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Jim Mozley

Just Me wrote:

> I'm using ActivePerl 5.6. Everything I read says I need to "use Net::SMTP"
> but use is not a valid command from Windows, and in PPM it is an unknown or
> ambiguous.
>
> I can not for the life of me figgure out how to "Use" the Net::SMTP module,
> or the Net-SMTP-Server-Clinet2 module from Windows, PPM or from within
> another script. Where should this "use" command be entered?

You use the module within your script so you have:

use Net::SMTP;

near the beginning of you script.

If you need to get the module on your windows machine then from the dos
command line type ppm to get into the perl package manager and then
search smtp to find the exact name (probably net-smtp), then install
net-smtp.

The new learning perl objects, references & modules book from O'Reilly
is worth getting for learning this stuff.

Jim