Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Installation of a perl module

Installation of a perl module

mistletoe

Command : ppm install DBI.ppd

Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84 Error: 500 Can't connect
to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84

Line 84: "my $soap_result = $client->ppm_protocol;"

How do I correct this error?

James Willmore

On 12 Nov 2003 02:35:43 -0800
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (mistletoe) wrote:

> Command : ppm install DBI.ppd
>
> Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
> ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
> Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84 Error: 500 Can't
> connect to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at
> C:/Program Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84
>
> Line 84: "my $soap_result = $client->ppm_protocol;"
>
> How do I correct this error?

Check the ActiveState support site. That's where I'd check.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but
<they've always worked for me." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Jim Mozley

mistletoe wrote:

> Command : ppm install DBI.ppd
>
> Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
> ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
> Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84 Error: 500 Can't connect
> to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
> Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84
>
> Line 84: "my $soap_result = $client->ppm_protocol;"
>
> How do I correct this error?

Is the issue one of connectivity to the activestate pp site, form the
error above it seems to indicate you cannot connect to it. Is there a
firewall or similar preventing you from reaching it?

Jim

mistletoe

I am able to connect to the ppm.activestate.com website.

I was able to download the perl modules that i required individually.
However after unzipping and unpacking them I don't know which files
and which folders to put into the lib folder.

Ranjith.

James Willmore

On 13 Nov 2003 03:43:04 -0800
(E-Mail Removed) (mistletoe) wrote:

> I am able to connect to the ppm.activestate.com website.
>
> I was able to download the perl modules that i required
> individually. However after unzipping and unpacking them I don't
> know which files and which folders to put into the lib folder.
>
> Ranjith.

That wasn't the point of my post. The point was you stated you got
an error while using PPM. And *maybe* you should consult the
ActiveState Knowledgebase to see what you could do to correct the
problem.

PPM is not pure Perl - using CPAN is. PPM is something ActiveState
put together - so you don't have to compile the module yourself.

This all, of course, is just my take on it

To answer directly where to put the files - again, you should go to
ActiveState's web site and see what's posted there - since they put
the whole distribution together. I have a guess, but it's only a
guess. I normally compile the modules or can use PPM through our
firewall at work. So, I have little experience with your issue.

OTOH, does the documentation that came with the ActiveState install
(specifically, PPM) address this situation? I think ActiveState
already thought this situation might arise.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
"Die? I should say not, dear fellow. No Barrymore would allow
such a conventional thing to happen to him." -- John
Barrymore's dying words

Helgi Briem

On 13 Nov 2003 03:43:04 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)
(mistletoe) wrote:

>I am able to connect to the ppm.activestate.com website.

You probably need to set your proxy server, as detailed
in the Activeperl documentation:
file:///C:/Perl/html/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html#ppm_and_proxies

>I was able to download the perl modules that i required individually.
>However after unzipping and unpacking them I don't know which files
>and which folders to put into the lib folder.

Don't do that. It won't work except by accident.