Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Studio cannot create or open the application because the Web server on this computer is not running

Visual Studio cannot create or open the application because the Web server on this computer is not running

Roberto Rocco

Whenever I try to create a new ASP Web Page I get this message :

"Visual Studio cannot create or open the application because the Web server
on this computer is not running. Start the Web server before proceeding."

Well, looking at my services I find that both WWW Publishing Services and
IIS are started.
I also successfully restarted both of them, but still keep getting the error
message.

I also did a successful re-registering of aspnet_isapi.dll using
aspnet_regiis -i and regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll.
But: Still the same error-message...

I finally deactivated my Windows firewall (I'm running Windows XP SP 2).
Again with no success.

Now I ran out of ideas...

Can anybody give me a hint?

Thanks in advance,

Roberto Rocco.

Gavin Chapman

Open the IIS MMC under Web Site Properties/Home Directory Tab, check that
Application Protection level. Try running the web site in Low (IIS Process)
level.

"Roberto Rocco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whenever I try to create a new ASP Web Page I get this message :
>
> "Visual Studio cannot create or open the application because the Web
> server on this computer is not running. Start the Web server before
> proceeding."
>
> Well, looking at my services I find that both WWW Publishing Services and
> IIS are started.
> I also successfully restarted both of them, but still keep getting the
> error message.
>
> I also did a successful re-registering of aspnet_isapi.dll using
> aspnet_regiis -i and regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll.
> But: Still the same error-message...
>
> I finally deactivated my Windows firewall (I'm running Windows XP SP 2).
> Again with no success.
>
> Now I ran out of ideas...
>
> Can anybody give me a hint?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Roberto Rocco.

Roberto Rocco

Hello Gavin,

thank you for your reply. I made a little progress, but still having
problems:
Here's my status:

Following your suggestion I opened the IIS MMC under Web Site
Properties/Home Directory Tab and checked the
Application Protection level. It was set to "middle". I set it to low and
with this setting I can access simple html with localhost.
BUT: I still cannot enter http://localhost or create an new ASP project.

BTW: After restarting the IIS the protection level wa set back to middle! Do
I have to do something else to make the setting permanent?

Finally, I looked at the event log and actually there's an error entry
saying:
"Event-ID 7034: The COM+ System Application service terminated unexpectedly.
It has done this 3 time(s)."

So might the COM+ System Application Servive be the reason? Or is the event
log entry misleading here?

May thanks in advance for every hint,

Roberto Rocco.

news:41685263$(E-Mail Removed)...