Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Is there a better way than using $+ ?

Is there a better way than using $+ ?

Neil Shadrach

10-23-2003
Ok I worked out an answer in the process of putting the question together so it's not desperate
However a neater solution would be welcome if anyone has the enthusiasm.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

my $result;
foreach my $count (1..2)
{
my $s=qq(line $count goes first);
foreach my $p (qr/line . goes first/,qr/line (.) goes first/,qr/line (.) goes (\w+)/)
{
my @a;
print q(String="),$s,q(" Pattern="),$p,q(" Result=),$result++,q( match=),join(q(,@a),q( $+=),defined $+?"def":"not","\
n" if @a=$s=~$p;
}
}

The above script produces the following results.

String="line 1 goes first" Pattern="(?-xism:line . goes first)" Result=0 match=1 $+=not
String="line 1 goes first" Pattern="(?-xism:line (.) goes first)" Result=1 match=1 $+=def
String="line 1 goes first" Pattern="(?-xism:line (.) goes (\w+))" Result=2 match=1:first $+=def
String="line 2 goes first" Pattern="(?-xism:line . goes first)" Result=3 match=1 $+=not
String="line 2 goes first" Pattern="(?-xism:line (.) goes first)" Result=4 match=2 $+=def
String="line 2 goes first" Pattern="(?-xism:line (.) goes (\w+))" Result=5 match=2:first $+=def

I want to discriminate between result 0 and result 1.
In the first case match equals 1 because the match succeeded while in the second case it equals 1 because
that happens to be the string matched by the first () - that is @a always has at least one value in the
event of a match with no parenthesis in the pattern or one pair both resulting in exactly one value.
I want to call a function in the event of a match with an array of the captured () values.
I could use (defined $+)?@a)) but I'm wondering if I could have arranged it such that @a was empty in
the result 0 case.

Thanks

Brian McCauley

10-23-2003
Neil Shadrach <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> @a=$s=~$p;

> I could use (defined $+)?@a)) but I'm wondering if I could have
> arranged it such that @a was empty in the [ pattern has no captures
> ] case.

I don't think so.

But you should use $#+ not defined($+). Consider

@a = 'foo' =~ /foo|(bar)|(baz)/;