Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perl 'system' Creates Program That Dies When First C Program Dies

Perl 'system' Creates Program That Dies When First C Program Dies

Christopher M. Lusardi

Hello,

What are some simple ways to run a perl script from an initial c program
which starts another C program that stays around after the first program goes
away? Perl starts the second C program.

I've tried using "system ('executable'), but when the first program is
stopped the second stops without my intervention. What I want to be able to do
is run my first program that starts the perl script which starts another
program that stays around after the first program ends its execution.

Thank you,
Christopher Lusardi

Bob Walton

Christopher M. Lusardi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What are some simple ways to run a perl script from an initial c program
> which starts another C program that stays around after the first program goes
> away? Perl starts the second C program.
>
> I've tried using "system ('executable'), but when the first program is
> stopped the second stops without my intervention. What I want to be able to do
> is run my first program that starts the perl script which starts another
> program that stays around after the first program ends its execution.
>

> Thank you,
> Christopher Lusardi

Your question isn't really a Perl question, but rather an OS question --
the answer will be the same if it were another language that is kicking
off your executables -- hence it is off-topic here. And the answer will
depend on your OS. What is it?

--
Bob Walton

Christopher M. Lusardi

My operating system is Red Hat Linux.

Bob Walton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Christopher M. Lusardi wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > What are some simple ways to run a perl script from an initial c program
> > which starts another C program that stays around after the first program goes
> > away? Perl starts the second C program.
> >
> > I've tried using "system ('executable'), but when the first program is
> > stopped the second stops without my intervention. What I want to be able to do
> > is run my first program that starts the perl script which starts another
> > program that stays around after the first program ends its execution.
> >

> > Thank you,
> > Christopher Lusardi
> >

> Your question isn't really a Perl question, but rather an OS question --
> the answer will be the same if it were another language that is kicking
> off your executables -- hence it is off-topic here. And the answer will
> depend on your OS. What is it?

Alan J. Flavell

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Christopher M. Lusardi blurted out:

> My operating system is Red Hat Linux.

Your posting style is TOFU.